Coolant Thermostat Needs Replacing How Long Can I Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Coolant Thermostat Needs Replacing How Long Can I Wait?

Hi,

I'll make this short and simple:

I was told my coolant thermostat needs replacing since it won't open

I have a 93 v6 3.4 L

A general search / research led to the result that a coolant Thermostat if faulty or broken or inoperable etc., can last almost a year or more without any problems, depending on the weather

I have no other coolant or cooling system problems, but also know that it's one of the major defects of a 93 Camaro or a 4th Gen., latent problems in the cooling system.

Summer is approaching and my car does not overheat so I want to bite the bullet until the end of July 2017, (a month and a half or 45 days)...and I only drive my car on surface streets, sparingly, like 3-4 x a week.

I can turn on the air fan to make the car cooler if temps are really high in the meantime.

I'm sure my mechanic's new front desk guy would have me believe that every repair needs to be done today or yesterday, but for obvious reasons to myself, I don't like the way he does business since on other "must-do-now-repairs," the owner of my trusty mechanic's shop said it can wait.

Thank you, in advance, for any constructive advice.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if its stuck closed it will overheat,,, no ifs ands or buts. if its stuck open then it will run cooler till the outside air gets up there then it can overheat, maybe not if radiator is big enough.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CamBigCat
Hi,

I was told my coolant thermostat needs replacing since it won't open
The car should NOT be driven at all. It does not matter how much you cool the coolant if the coolant is not flowing. You are risking head gasket damage even with a 10 minute drive and cool outdoor temps.

This is not a know issue with camaros as the camaro uses a standard thermostat and has the same chance of a failure as any other 20 year old car. What is known that GM used cheap gaskets and head bolts and when the thermostat fails and the car is driven anyway major things go bad.

If you absolutely have to drive turn the heater on max heat with the fan running full speed. Its kind like peeing on on a bond fire but it can help.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-12-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 PM
4th Gear Member

For the $10 you'll spend on the t-stat and the hour of time, just replace it.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Thank you everyone for your input. Especially Gorn who really thoroughly answered my question.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 1 more thing, MK Coconuts

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
For the $10 you'll spend on the t-stat and the hour of time, just replace it.
Hi, thanks for your advice MK coconuts.

I had a tbi head injury on the job as a CHP traffic officer

can''t even replace my tires without help

i have a free lance mechanic friend who works on imports mostly Japanese cars honda acura's etc. 90s versions

he hates working on American cars like the Camaro cos of the placement of everything makes it very difficult for mechanics to reach to etc.

for example among other difficulties mechanics find working on American cars: a tune up on a honda civic is way simpler than a tune up on a Camaro

*Here's the heart of the question:
Is this an idiot-proof job, MK? ---- After a brief cursory research on my part, I learned something has to be opened up in order to reach to the thermostat on a 4th Gen

Would my freelance mechanic be able to do it easily after maybe watching a Youtube video? Or is it worth it for someone with oodles of experience working on Camaros or 'Vettes to change my T-stat?

I am worried that he will do more harm than good to the thermostat

Last time this freelance mechanic like the dude from the film " 2 lane blacktop," played byThe Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson, ...

he had my car off the ground an tried to replace the struts and control arm bearings which were purchased aftermarket on Ebay....

he ended up pausing for at least 45 min. while i stood in the background nervous,....saying to myself: dont u know ur stuff?!

he didn't bring a power air gun, one bolt was rusted on the struts etc.

So he ended up telling me sorry I will have to get an air gun....

after doing easy work like fixing my fog lite bulbs etc., this left a very bitter taste in my mouth

so again : I can't do this job on my own due to my head injury...do you think i should put faith in my backyard freelance mechanic who has experience in Jap cars mostly, should I put faith in him.... to replace my Camaro's t-stat or is there a chance that he might do more harm than good?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear member
Default look at 4th gen. threads. there must be 1000s of issues w Coolant leaks and problems-

Originally Posted by Gorn
The car should NOT be driven at all. It does not matter how much you cool the coolant if the coolant is not flowing. You are risking head gasket damage even with a 10 minute drive and cool outdoor temps.

This is not a know issue with camaros as the camaro uses a standard thermostat and has the same chance of a failure as any other 20 year old car. What is known that GM used cheap gaskets and head bolts and when the thermostat fails and the car is driven anyway major things go bad.

If you absolutely have to drive turn the heater on max heat with the fan running full speed. Its kind like peeing on on a bond fire but it can help.

Gorn,look at 4th gen. threads here.

there must be 1000s of issues w Coolant leaks and problems-

I dont know why you said the 4th Gen. Camaro doesn't have an inherent problem with its cooling system

i think even you at one point mentioned problems with all or part of the 4th Gen. Camaro cooling system.

in fact, i have had this really irksome problem with my coolant system which included but isn't limited to: a leak near the timing chain cover, some idiot at GM decided to issue a factory plastic rad. cap that can crack, where as a metal one made in Mexico is resistant to heat and thus wont crack as much seeping coolant, FOR almost a friggin year on and off to the present time.

a coolant temp sensor needed to be replaced

this is all on my car.....

threads while doing a search show 1000s of people here asking for advice on overheating or problems with the cooling systems of their CAmaro.

i don't want to argue....
i feel better for venting
let me ask you this: or anyone else: what 's the biggest defect of a 4th Gen. how about that???

thanks

Old 06-12-2017, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamBigCat
Gorn,look at 4th gen. threads here.

there must be 1000s of issues w Coolant leaks and problems-

I dont know why you said the 4th Gen. Camaro doesn't have an inherent problem with its cooling system

i think even you at one point mentioned problems with all or part of the 4th Gen. Camaro cooling system.

in fact, i have had this really irksome problem with my coolant system which included but isn't limited to: a leak near the timing chain cover, some idiot at GM decided to issue a factory plastic rad. cap that can crack, where as a metal one made in Mexico is resistant to heat and thus wont crack as much seeping coolant, FOR almost a friggin year on and off to the present time.

a coolant temp sensor needed to be replaced

this is all on my car.....

threads while doing a search show 1000s of people here asking for advice on overheating or problems with the cooling systems of their CAmaro.

i don't want to argue....
i feel better for venting
let me ask you this: or anyone else: what 's the biggest defect of a 4th Gen. how about that???

thanks
it is my experience that lack of proper and timely maintenance is key to a car's longevity, I check my oil and coolant several times a month, I get under my car twice a year to check bolts/nuts view for leaks, even if nothing shows on the ground. While there may be issues w/gaskets etc, most if cars were driven hard and not fixed at on set of initial problem due to lack of funds, mechanical ability or fear of unknown. These cars need to be bleed of air a certain way and folks don't always refer to manual an do things the way they always have, just saying my opinion, find someone who knows this car, make friends and watch and learn, if u can't do it yourself find reputable shop.. best wishes

Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Lakerman62
it is my experience that lack of proper and timely maintenance is key to a car's longevity, I check my oil and coolant several times a month, I get under my car twice a year to check bolts/nuts view for leaks, even if nothing shows on the ground. While there may be issues w/gaskets etc, most if cars were driven hard and not fixed at on set of initial problem due to lack of funds, mechanical ability or fear of unknown. These cars need to be bleed of air a certain way and folks don't always refer to manual an do things the way they always have, just saying my opinion, find someone who knows this car, make friends and watch and learn, if u can't do it yourself find reputable shop.. best wishes
thanks i copied and pasted what u wrote to understand later. i thought i had the trusty mechanic reputable shop. but the highly yelp dot com rated local san diego ca mechanic started shortening his hours and hired some creepy front desk guy that i asked if he was related to since i would not hire or keep someone like that unless they were kin.

anyway time to look for another reliable shop.

go L.A. Lakers 1980 to 2002 and of course, the 1970s dynasty with Pat Riley as a guard and Wilt @ center

Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear member

im kinda bummed out. that's why if some people aren't into DIY they need to mix it up with not just 1 but 2 mechanics, in case the highly competent 1st one isn't around like on vacation.

i thought i need 1 mechanic, 1 good mechanic like one Padre, 1 good tailor, 1 good doctor, etc. that old saying that u need only several good ones in one's "rolodex" or contacts list.

haha...

i thought i had a good one, but he doesn't seem to give a darn anymore.

now i have to pay in to another mechanic as option #2

a customer gets in the good graces of mechanics when they bring them lots of work / business.

so i have to farm any and all future repairs to another mechanic to build a relationship with.

Quick Reply: Coolant Thermostat Needs Replacing How Long Can I Wait?