Convertible top bad switch or wiring issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 PM
Default Convertible top bad switch or wiring issue?

Hey guys any help is appreciated. I bought a 94 Z28s convertible with the top not working. The motor was not responding to the switch. There are 4 terminals to the switch. Only one of the terminals had power. It was terminal C. Not sure if that is how it should be. Anyhow I replaced the switch and the up button worked! However the down button does not work still. Think I have another defective switch or a wiring Issue? Thank you in advance.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear member

The fact that the motor works correctly in one direction should be indication the pump and its wiring harness are OK. The problem you describe sounds like the mechanical tie between the switch contacts is broken and the switch contacts are not operating in unison with each other or the down contact itself is not completely closing, allowing the positive 12V potential a path to the pump motor. I would agree you probably got a bad switch, but I would test the purple wire to a ground with a test light or meter while the switch is in the down position to make sure. Here's a schematics that may help explain how the system works.

Last edited by peterpar; 06-16-2020 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
The fact that the motor works correctly in one direction should be indication the pump and its wiring harness are OK. The problem you describe sounds like the mechanical tie between the switch contacts is broken and the switch contacts are not operating in unison with each other or the down contact itself is not completely closing, allowing the positive 12V potential a path to the pump motor. I would agree you probably got a bad switch, but I would test the purple wire to a ground with a test light or meter while the switch is in the down position to make sure. Here's a schematics that may help explain how the system works.

Thank you for your advice. I will test the purple to be safe but can’t believe I got 2 bad switches in a row. At least the motor works. Haha.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty1481
Thank you for your advice. I will test the purple to be safe but can’t believe I got 2 bad switches in a row. At least the motor works. Haha.

Ok so I tested purple and it was good. So I spliced in a new plug connector Into the switch now both up and down work!!! So good news is it seems like the switch is good. However. I have to jiggle the wires a bit to make it work. Maybe the new plug connecter isn’t making good contact? Could it be anything else?

Old 06-16-2020, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Dusty1481
Ok so I tested purple and it was good. So I spliced in a new plug connector Into the switch now both up and down work!!! So good news is it seems like the switch is good. However. I have to jiggle the wires a bit to make it work. Maybe the new plug connecter isn’t making good contact? Could it be anything else?
A bad connection between the switch and the harness connector should cause the same problems when trying to raise or lower the top. Is that what it is doing now, neither up or down will work without wiggling the wires? If that's the case, you'll have to try a way to tighten the connection between the plug and switch. The gray and purple wires are used for both the up and down operation of the pump. The switch changes the polarity of these wires suppling the voltage to the motor in order to reverse the rotation of the pump, so theatrically, a loose fitting connection should effect both operations the same.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by peterpar
A bad connection between the switch and the harness connector should cause the same problems when trying to raise or lower the top. Is that what it is doing now, neither up or down will work without wiggling the wires? If that's the case, you'll have to try a way to tighten the connection between the plug and switch. The gray and purple wires are used for both the up and down operation of the pump. The switch changes the polarity of these wires suppling the voltage to the motor in order to reverse the rotation of the pump, so theatrically, a loose fitting connection should effect both operations the same.
Its all good now!!!! Working great!!! Thanks for the help and guidance. What city do you live in?

Old 06-16-2020, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear member

Glad you got your problem solved.