Convertible fabric top dye report

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Convertible fabric top dye report

Hi Gang...A couple of months ago I posted a question about the effectiveness of fabric top dye. I bought a '95 ragtop last year that spent most of it's life in the desert or Socal. The top had some badly faded areas, but was in pretty good shape otherwise, so I wanted to make it last as long as possible so as to allocate available funds to fixing all mechanical issues first. I received a few replies stating that the faded areas would probably still show through. I bought a product from a company named Ronovo and my wife and I spent this last week dying the top and I want to report my results. First I cleaned the top with 303 fabric top cleaned, as all remnants of the previous sealant had to be removed. I did this twice and then let the top dry for a day. The next day I masked off all the windows and we applied the first coat of the dye. It didn't look too bad, but the faded areas did show through. We let it dry for 24 hours and then applied a second coat on just the badly faded areas. We let that dry for 24 hours and then applied a third overall coat. We let that dry for 24 hours and then applied a coat of sealant. Another 24 hour drying cycle and then removed all the masking. I will say that the faded areas still are visible, but the overall appearance of the top is much, much better and we are glad we did it. I wish I had some before and after pictures to post, but I never thought to do that before we started. If anyone likes, I can post an after picture.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Convertible fabric top dye report

I should try that. My convertible top is also faded. Could you post some photos so I can get an idea of how it might look.