Continuous drum brake problems- 94 v6 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 07:25 AM
Default Continuous drum brake problems- 94 v6 camaro

A couple years back my dad and I bought a red 94 camaro with t-tops expecting it to be a lot of fun to drive, but it's been almost nothing but trouble. When we first bought it, it had many issues that lead us to rebuild engine. After that, it ran great, but the differential was obviously worn out, and was very loud while driving. So we bought a whole used rear axle assembly that had been rebuilt not too long ago. This fixed the differential noise, but after driving it for a while we found out that the drum brake in the rear passenger side had started to drag very badly. We troubleshooted it in every way that we knew how, (all new components) and no matter what we did, it still dragged badly.(It would get up to about 450° on the highway.) After some more digging, we found out that the rear we got came from a car that had been in an accident, so we just figured there was something damaged that we couldn't see, so we set it aside for a couple months, and just a few weeks ago, bought another junkyard rear end from a car we know was not in an accident. We then installed that expecting everything to be fixed, but the problem remains. The springs, wheel cylinders and other hardware was new with the second rear end. The shoes have been replaced 3 times, and the drum was replaced twice. I have also tried removing the wheel cylinder and assembling it, but it still drags. As far as I can tell, it's all assembled correctly according to the service manuals. The drum brakes are also adjusted according to the manual. The brake master cylinder cap was somehow left off for a period of time, but I have thoroughly cleaned the master cylinder and flushed the system multiple times. We also tried pinching off the rear brake line at the master, but even on only front disc brakes, the rear right drum got up to 400°.

Any ideas you might have would be useful, I'm about ready to just put a brick on the gas and point it off a bridge.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Just a guess but maybe the e-brake cable needs to be backed off.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wondering why not get disc brake rear end when you was buying. I would agree e brake seems to be the last thing it could be.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:42 AM

Will look into park brake cable adjustment now, as for the disc brake rear end, we didn't want to deal with finding and buying new abs solenoid and master cylinder.

As for the parking brake cable, do you mean the adjustment at the point where the cable splits? How can I know if it's correct?

edit:
After looking, there is no adjustable points on the underside of the car or at the drum brake for the parking brake. Is there one underneath the center console?

Old 05-22-2024, 08:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

go here http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti and download factory service manual for your year, 1994svcman shows how to adjust both brakes and e brake.