Common, irritating 4th Gen issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Default Common, irritating 4th Gen issues?

Hello,

I am continuing to research my future 4th generation purchase. Looking for a v8 as new as I can get with as few of miles as I can afford. Somewhere around 4k purchase. Around here in southern Oregon that gets me a 94-96 with around 100K.

The Optispark I am aware of. What other things should you be sure to check when looking at one? I know the usual mechanical stuff and I am quite mechanically inclined.

Windows, CC/PDL and the big one is AC to me. Are these systems pretty reliable?

What are those little things that "bother you"? Every car has something that they are common for. Something that you accept, even though it bugs you but not enough to get rid of it.

Thank you for your help. From the other post and some continued research I am getting closer.

Hopefully later this spring I will get one.

ROB

Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Rattles errywere

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Overdrive Member

For the most part these cars are pretty trouble free. The OPTI is prolly the most troublesome part of the early 4th gens but you already know that. T-tops all tend to leak a little, if this bothers you then steer clear of a t-top car. 95 cars have an odd OBD system that does not link with OBDII even tho it has an OBDII plug. It can be read by an OBDI scanner if you have the right pins jumped. 94 can be read with a scanner but not from one of the devices that blink a light. Early 4th gens also use an odd wiper blade that has a reversed hook connection. This is no biggy but you have to order them from most auto part stores, they are not usually stocked. You can put the arms from a 98+ on the car and have normal wiper blades but the arms will sit kinda strange unless you also use the pivots from a 98+ car. They will still work just fine even with the older pivots. That is about all I can think of I hope this helps you.

Massey

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by H2C
Rattles errywere

Neither one of my Camaros rattle.

Massey

Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by H2C
Rattles errywere
The guy has a toyotajeep, how bad could a possible Camaro rattle be by comparison?
My 4th gen's didn't rattle either though.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
H2C
2nd Gear member

huh i always thought they all did. My bad. Mine has about 20 different rattles, excuse to keep the radio loud i say

Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

rear tires dont last long.

Name:  993391-R1-09-16.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  33.8 KB

Last edited by craby; 02-21-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Overdrive Member

^^ Not when the car is doing what your car is doing in your icon!!

Massey

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotajeep
Hello,

1: Somewhere around 4k purchase. Around here in southern Oregon that gets me a 94-96 with around 100K.

2:The Optispark I am aware of.

3:What are those little things that "bother you"? Every car has something that they are common for. Something that you accept, even though it bugs you but not enough to get rid of it.

4:Thank you for your help. From the other post and some continued research I am getting closer.

Hopefully later this spring I will get one.

ROB
1: so that's a 15-17 year old vehicle about which you will know absolutely nothing about it's maintenance history or the care it did/did not receive. It's a crap shoot with any vehicle that age so don't kill yourself with research.

2: the optispark is not an "issue". What is the issue is its' location. Since it's behind the waterpump, the cap, rotor, plugs/wires do not get replaced as maintenance like with gen 1 small blocks. Also, being behind the waterpump is not the best place but if you replace the wp and opti, you should be good to go for a long time and it won't be an "issue"

3: no fuel pump access hatch from the factory, you must install one yourself. The side bolster of the drivers' seat on the 3rd and 4th gen Camaros always rip.

4: forget the "research", either you're prepared for the challenges that go with buying a 15-17 year old car or you're not. If you don't like the unknown, and the problems that could arise with buying older vehicles, then get something newer.

If you scan through threads on this and other forums, you'll see posts of people getting mad because an old car actually broke down. If the intent of anyone is to get a 15-17 year old vehicle with 100k plus miles that hasn't been rebuilt, and expecting it to be a daily driver with no issues is just silly.

To get an older car to the point of it being as reliable as a newer car takes time and money. There is no other way about it.

good luck with your search and my post is what we call in sales/marketing as "properly setting expectations"

Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 AM

My current Dd is a 3-400,000 mile Cummins that was a ranch truck before I got it. The other is a 30 year old Jeep with big tires etc. The other car is about 40 years old.....

I know I am going to have a problem or two. I don't expect to drive it for three years and not wrench on it. I am just looking for the common stuff to watch for.

The rattles and leak sounds like what I need to watch for. I live on a long dirt road that can be rough.

I have noticed that there are some real clean cars for reasonable. And then there are the boy racer types that have had three engines already.....I think I will pass on those.

Windows, AC and CC are they reliable for the most part? Any common issues with them?

ROB

Quick Reply: Common, irritating 4th Gen issues?