clutch problems and hard to get into gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Default clutch problems and hard to get into gear

hey im not sure how many of you have seen my other thread but i have just recently put a new mcleod street twin clutch in my 95 z28. now i am having alot of problems. the clutch is engaged even though the clutch pedal is right to the floor. so when you are trying to take off in first it is very hard because the car is already moving even though the clutch is to the floor. it is also very very hard to get the car in any gear and the shifter seems locked or something. if you can get past first gear all of the other gears seem to work fine but the clutch only engages at about half way and the rest of the way there is no resistance. the shop that built the car called mcleod and they said that it is the master hydraulic or something? the part that is inside the firewall. does that sound right? i have already bled the clutch so i know thats not it. i also heard it could be the slave cylinder??

Thanks

Last edited by Jamezzz; 04-14-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes it could be the one of the cylinders, get under the car and have someone ingadge the clutch while you watch. need to take the cover off. if the clutch fork shows movement while the pedal is being depressed and continues to move the whole time the pedal is moved then the clutch should be disengadging.check the mesurement between the flywheel and pressure plate. should be just under 1/2 inch or more. if less than .43 inch there is a problem with one of the cylinders or the pedal assembly it self is not aligned right(from book). check under the rubber boots on both for any oil. make sure the clutch fork is on the ball and the ball stud is tight. could be pilot bearing is bad.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 PM

i talked on the phone with mcleod today and we narrowed it down to being the master hydraulic. if u watch the fluid in the master cylinder, it goes down when you pump the clutch but if u hold the clutch down for a while the eventually fluid goes back up in the resevoir even though the clutch is being held down. they said one of the seals in the master hydraulic is leaking andis causing the fluid to leak back and then all pressure is lost.

Last edited by Jamezzz; 04-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

i have had issues with the same thing my friend... the slave or master cylinder sound like the prob. you have to make sure that you get the clutch fork put on the throw out bearing just right on the mcLeod. Otherwise you will be like me and buy three slave sylinders and two master cylinders before you get it right
HORRORS..lol check for fluid or small cracks I blew the piston out of the slave cylinder on one and cracked another. GM sells the master and slave as one unit..preprimed. But you can get one from advanced or autozone for 60+- push out the pin on the braided line and switch them. I think i posted once b4 all the steps involved in changing one ill look for what i wrote when it was fresh in mind like a year ago or more.the GM combo was like 260 or so. get a flashlight and make sure that the clutch fork is on the throw-out breaing and not behind or in front of it when it pops in. the slave cylinder is down there and the master cylinder is above the clutch pedal and goes through the firewall. After you remove the three or four bolts holding the collar on the firewall there is a clip that holds the pin in that goes through the pedal. it will come out without removing the master brake cylinder. Follow the priming process when installin the new one.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM

yeah the master cylinder which attaches to the pedal and goes trhough the firewall is the part that i was reffering to when i called mcleod. that is what im getting sent to me in the mail in a few days and they said that should fix it?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

that should do it...but are you sure you have the clutch fork on the throwout bearing properly?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM

i had the shop install the clutch and i trust that they did it right because they really semed liek they knew what they were doing but i cant guarentee that. the only way to check that is to take off the tranny again so i can get inside the clutch correct?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

nope take off the slave cylinder off pull the clutch fork off and look in with a flashlight then you can see it when you put it back on

Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 PM

alright ill try that tommorow. thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 06:14 PM

alright well the shop sent me another master cylinder and i got it in the mail today. installed it and everythign was done, now i have to bleed it. they aid the only way to bleed the lt1 is put the brake fluid (im using dot 4) and pump the clutch and keep puttingin fluid. they said there is no bleed screw. so i pumped the clutch about 150 times and theres still no pressure. starting to get really pissed, is this master cylinder shot too or am i bleeding it wrong

Quick Reply: clutch problems and hard to get into gear