clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default clutch problems

I have a 98 z28 6 speed that just started showing clutch issues to the degree that i can drive it any more. All gears are harder to get into and reverse is impossible. I opened the cap and there was no fluid in it. I pored more in but didnt bleed it yet. I bought a mity vac for it. But i cant find any leaks i could find. So i dont know where it is going. Ive been noticing the gears have been a little harder to get into but didnt think any think of it. That makes me think it has a slow leak some where. What do you guys think is going on and what should i do about it? I really dont have time to pull the tranny, its hard to find time to even bleed the clutch.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you probably have an internal leak in the slave.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Maybe you need to bleed the system to find the leak. You have to have fluid through out the system.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Master cylinder always fails on these cars.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried bleeding it using the mity vac method and now the petal is on the floor. still no leaks I can see. I probably bled it wrong. when I relived the valve it looked like air bubbles that came out when back in. And where is the master cylinder? I should also add that the fluid was very dirty.

Last edited by nickb123; 09-06-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It's probably a leak in the slave like mentioned above. Have you looked under the car yet? If not, look under the car, unbolt the slave and pull it out, look for cracks in the rubber boot and any other signs of leaks.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I replaced the master cylinder yesterday because it is easier than replacing the slave cylinder. When I test drove it BEFORE replacing the master but after bleeding the old one it had pedal presser and gears worked at idle but by the time I drove about a block I could not shift. I haven't tested the new master but I bleed it and the clutch seems to have good pressure. And there are no noticeable leaks coming from between the engine and transmission. If I do need to replace the slave cylinder I would replace the clutch while im there. So what is the best slave cylinder and clutch I can get from local auto parts stores like auto zone, o reilly, napa, car quest, advance auto, etc...?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

skip the auto parts stores when it comes to the clutch, its already a pita to replace so why do it again in 10k miles when the cheap china clutch fails. from what i hear the centerforce duel friction is pretty much the best thing you can get for a street car.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

After i replaced the master i test drove it for a while and now the clutch works just like before the master went out. But when i push the clutch in i can here it grinding like its not fully disengaged. Is this something i should worry about?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

its been about 3 weeks since I replaced the master and about once a week the clutch randomly stops working. like air enters the system, so I bleed it with my mity vac and it works just like it did before, for about a week. So im going to have to replace the slave cylinder, there must be a hole where it sucks air in or something. While im there im going to replace the clutch because with 68,000 miles it must be the original one. what is a good budget clutch for a mostly stock ls1? I'm looking to do this cheap as possible but don't want a bad quality clutch. Also this is my DD.

Quick Reply: clutch problems