Cherrybomb or flowmaster.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
But my other question Is what were you talking about I wont find a oem one but I can use a direct replacement muffler whats the difference between them two.
The 4th gen Camaro's are between 9-18 years old now. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer - there may be more than one) who provided the mufflers to GM for the Camaro's and TransAm's made the muffler during the production run, and a few thousand extra for good measure. Once GM stopped production, and thus stopped buying the mufflers, the company(ies) making them stopped production also.

However, the design of the muffler is readily available and several companies make replacement mufflers for your application. Each of these "new" manufacturers will make a muffler with the exact same external dimensions, so they will bolt right into place without having to modify either the muffler or mounting locations on a stock application. That means, I can purchase any of the four choices from RockAuto right on to my '94 Z28 with no problem. It will fit perfectly and look just like the original muffler.

Now, if you spend the time to check with all of the local GM dealers, one or two of them may be able to locate a "left over" replacement muffler that is sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere. You will pay a premium for that muffler as it would be the EXACT muffler that the car would have left the factory with. Parts such as this are known as NOS (New-Old Stock) as they are brand new parts that were meant for warranty work, but never needed, and have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. For complete, show quality, restorations nothing less will do. But, for your application, the extra cost would not be worth it. Your car is not for show, it is for go (and you are trying to get a nice sound, not a pretty blue ribbon).

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Then would you think Its better to find one used that will be the real z28 muffler or buy one off this site.
As I previously said, No! A used muffler is a complete roll of the dice. It may look nice on the outside, but mufflers rot from the inside out. Even if it looks nice, the interior could be completely rotted away, and you may only get a short time of use before it completely fails. New is the way to go.

Sound is a very subjective sense. I know guys who like the raspy sound, others who like a throaty growl and a couple red-necks who think straight pipes are the only way to go (no mufflers). Also, know that even the youtube video you found is not allowing you to hear the true sound of the muffler on that car. Depending on how it was recorded and the quality of the equipment used, and the quality of your computer sound card and speakers, not to mention the video/sound compression software used to create the video clip. All of those things distort the sound quality and the car WILL sound different in person.

Your best bet would be to get a muffler that you think will sound nice, based on the description provided in the literature, and get it installed. See if you like the sound. If not, save up your money for another six months and try again if necessary. I know it sucks, but unless you hear another 3.4 with a Z28 muffler in person, and can get the part number for the muffler from the owner, you really are playing a game of craps on this one.

Well, I gotta go to work now. Good luck on your decision and let us know which way you decide to go.

PS - Please, learn to use standard punctuation in your posts. It makes everything a lot easier to read and understand. Thank you.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
The 4th gen Camaro's are between 9-18 years old now. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer - there may be more than one) who provided the mufflers to GM for the Camaro's and TransAm's made the muffler during the production run, and a few thousand extra for good measure. Once GM stopped production, and thus stopped buying the mufflers, the company(ies) making them stopped production also.

However, the design of the muffler is readily available and several companies make replacement mufflers for your application. Each of these "new" manufacturers will make a muffler with the exact same external dimensions, so they will bolt right into place without having to modify either the muffler or mounting locations on a stock application. That means, I can purchase any of the four choices from RockAuto right on to my '94 Z28 with no problem. It will fit perfectly and look just like the original muffler.

Now, if you spend the time to check with all of the local GM dealers, one or two of them may be able to locate a "left over" replacement muffler that is sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere. You will pay a premium for that muffler as it would be the EXACT muffler that the car would have left the factory with. Parts such as this are known as NOS (New-Old Stock) as they are brand new parts that were meant for warranty work, but never needed, and have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. For complete, show quality, restorations nothing less will do. But, for your application, the extra cost would not be worth it. Your car is not for show, it is for go (and you are trying to get a nice sound, not a pretty blue ribbon).

As I previously said, No! A used muffler is a complete roll of the dice. It may look nice on the outside, but mufflers rot from the inside out. Even if it looks nice, the interior could be completely rotted away, and you may only get a short time of use before it completely fails. New is the way to go.

Sound is a very subjective sense. I know guys who like the raspy sound, others who like a throaty growl and a couple red-necks who think straight pipes are the only way to go (no mufflers). Also, know that even the youtube video you found is not allowing you to hear the true sound of the muffler on that car. Depending on how it was recorded and the quality of the equipment used, and the quality of your computer sound card and speakers, not to mention the video/sound compression software used to create the video clip. All of those things distort the sound quality and the car WILL sound different in person.

Your best bet would be to get a muffler that you think will sound nice, based on the description provided in the literature, and get it installed. See if you like the sound. If not, save up your money for another six months and try again if necessary. I know it sucks, but unless you hear another 3.4 with a Z28 muffler in person, and can get the part number for the muffler from the owner, you really are playing a game of craps on this one.

Well, I gotta go to work now. Good luck on your decision and let us know which way you decide to go.

PS - Please, learn to use standard punctuation in your posts. It makes everything a lot easier to read and understand. Thank you.
Thanks for your help. Are you saying your not sure which of the four mufflers to choose from. Because I dont know the difference and Im sure there are differences In them. For starters, some are more expensive which are probably the better ones, but have different titles. Any help or recomendations on this one thanks.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Sorry, can't help you on that. My car still has the original factory muffler on it. I have no idea which of those listed on RockAuto would sound the best for your car.

Your best bet would be to read the descriptions for each of the mufflers and make your best guess.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 AM
2nd Gear member

I am considering either getting the z28 muffler for this car or getting a magnaflow muffler. I went online then found that I can get a full exhaust setup that Is magnaflow with the muffler then the tailpipes that are cat back for well over five hundred bucks which Is expensive for me lol. But I dont wanna spend that much. I was thinking I could Just get the muffler along with the cat back dual pipes Instead of getting the whole package that had the muffler, pipes, then a piece that went from the muffler to Im guessing the engine Idk It was long. But anyway would I have to buy the cat back tail pipes from magnaflow. Or Just buy the muffler and have the shop make the cat back tail pipes, or wouldnt the car end up sounding the same. I couldnt find a youtube video of a 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L car with a magnaflow muffler without the magnaflow tail pipes. Uh at first I was thinking of getting a flowmaster eighty series but all flowmaster mufflers for this car are to raspy. Which Is why I am deciding between magnaflow or a z28 muffler whats your opinions on this muffler setup thing.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...zone=all&id=57

Last edited by 94ChevyCamaroV6; 08-29-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear member

For you to hopefully get the sound you want, your best bet would be to get a replacement muffler for a Z28, take that muffler to your local exhaust shop, and have them install it in place of your stock muffler.

You should be able to locate a new muffler for $50-75, and the shop should be able to install it, and make a couple of tailpipes for about another $75-125. It will only take them an hour or so to do the work.

Before you start on this project (read - before you buy anything) drive down to your local muffler shop and talk to them. Tell them what you are wanting to do and see if they will weld the muffler in when you bring it to them, some shops won't.

You do not want to buy a kit meant for a Z28 and try to make it fit. You will be wasting a lot of time and money doing that. If you want a flowmaster, you can get just the muffler. Do a search online and you will be able to locate one, or your local exhaust shop will be able to get you one.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
For you to hopefully get the sound you want, your best bet would be to get a replacement muffler for a Z28, take that muffler to your local exhaust shop, and have them install it in place of your stock muffler.

You should be able to locate a new muffler for $50-75, and the shop should be able to install it, and make a couple of tailpipes for about another $75-125. It will only take them an hour or so to do the work.

Before you start on this project (read - before you buy anything) drive down to your local muffler shop and talk to them. Tell them what you are wanting to do and see if they will weld the muffler in when you bring it to them, some shops won't.

You do not want to buy a kit meant for a Z28 and try to make it fit. You will be wasting a lot of time and money doing that. If you want a flowmaster, you can get just the muffler. Do a search online and you will be able to locate one, or your local exhaust shop will be able to get you one.
I didnt say that kit was made for a z28 It was actually made for my v6. I was told that the best way to get a non raspy sound would be the z28 muffler or true dual pipe. I looked up a magnaflow muffer that I thought sounded pretty cool. That had a true dual cat back tail pipes. But I dont wanna buy the whole kit for over 500 bucks. I was thinking maybe I could buy the muffler for 150 then the shop could make a repicla cat back tail pipes Just like the magna flow ones so that It will sound the same without playing a guess game how It will come out. I couldnt really find any youtube videos of either a z28 muffler or a magnaflow for the v6 but I found a couple for both and I thought the magnaflow sounded great Its Just I dont wanna buy the whole kit for over 500 bucks.