check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Question check engine light

What can make a service engine light come on? I put 96 into a 94. My map sensor connector was busted so I put another one on and the light went off then came back on 20 seconds later.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

best way to find out whats going on is get it scanned for trouble codes. otherwise your shootin in the dark.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Mine comes on but no codes being shown.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaroboi22
What can make a service engine light come on? I put 96 into a 94. My map sensor connector was busted so I put another one on and the light went off then came back on 20 seconds later.
Just to clairify are you saying you put a 96 LT1 into a 94 LT1 car? You used the 94 computer and harness?

Ignore what was above for jumping for codes that is 93 and back only. Anything wrong in the engine/transmission control system and the check engine lite will lite up. The error codes the PCM will report to a scan tool with tell you the area of the error to atleast give you are starting point.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Greg Carter
mine does absolutely notta. lol I hear the fan come on and a clicking sound but the light doesnt blink at all just stays steady.. (sorry if this is concidered thread hijacking)
No need to post in every check engine lite thread. Your car is an odd problem. Your next step is to find a scan tool that will work 93 back. You need to see what you can read and what you can not. You could have an issue with the wiring between the ECM and the connector or the ECM itself. Since the fan is kicking and the click is normal I would guess it is a ECM issue. But that is a guess only a scan tool can confirm.

Yes it is thread High jacking it is going to be very confusing to the original poster who is already struggling.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-26-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
No need to post in every check engine lite thread. Your car is an odd problem. Your next step is to find a scan tool that will work 93 back. You need to see what you can read and what you can not. You could have an issue with the wiring between the ECM and the connector or the ECM itself. Since the fan is kicking and the click is normal I would guess it is a ECM issue. But that is a guess only a scan
tool can confirm.

Yes it is thread High jacking it is going to be very confusing to the original poster who is already struggling.
I seen it as having similar issues, I just stated that if he found something out let me know as well then I answered a reply.

Members like yourself is why I've hated being on foums. You act like it's a matter of life and death. I already apologized no need for you to put on ur input. Not that it's a big deal but you just caused this site to lose me as a member.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You said “if” this is a thread hijacking. I just wanted you to understand it was hijacking. Everything that is posted in this thread is posted in your other thread. It is just clutter. I am not just a member I am a moderator I am suppose to keep out the clutter. You are only here for help if you wish to leave then by all means do.

Imagine what this thread would look like it everyone that has a check engine light in all models posts “I have a check engine lite on too” you would have pages and pages of useless posts. This is a tech forum, in the future (this site or any other you may join) subscribe to the thread if you have anything to add then do so. “Me too” is not adding to the thread.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-27-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

It's that holier than thou attitude thats driving me away as well. Oops, more clutter.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Have fun moderating a forum...must be very important to you, has to be to call a new member out. Pm would have been nice.
Site owner might want to get better moderators then cause u are causing him to lose members.

I didn't get this response in my other thread. So I seen another member having the same issue so I wanted to let it be known that my issue is still present.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Your codes are important. Your 94 may have OBD 1 or OBD 1.5 codes. You need to know what code your OBD is sending before you can fix your problem. Please let us know what your code is. If you don't know how to read your code, please refer to youtube.

Quick Reply: check engine light