cd player problem, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Default RE: cd player problem, please help

ORIGINAL: buddywackos

how do i bypass the factory amp then. i have a lightning audio amp (the box said 750 watts max, but 250 "total". i have no clue what that means) that i haven't gotten hooked up yet and two audiobahn 10's. i'm completely new at this, so any help or links to help would be much appreciated. i just quit my job, so i'm gonna have alot of time to fool around with this, hopefully i won't blow my car up.
You want the amp's RMS power rating to match the RMS rating of the speakers as closely as possible. Ignore all that "peak" and "max" stuff...RMS is the one to pay attention to.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95camaro74

ORIGINAL: buddywackos

how do i bypass the factory amp then. i have a lightning audio amp (the box said 750 watts max, but 250 "total". i have no clue what that means) that i haven't gotten hooked up yet and two audiobahn 10's. i'm completely new at this, so any help or links to help would be much appreciated. i just quit my job, so i'm gonna have alot of time to fool around with this, hopefully i won't blow my car up.
You want the amp's RMS power rating to match the RMS rating of the speakers as closely as possible. Ignore all that "peak" and "max" stuff...RMS is the one to pay attention to.
be surprised who many people dont know that, people with "10000watt max systems" at school, and i show them up with a 1000w RMS system.. it's funny but sad.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
4th Gear Member

1000w RMS!!!! [&:]daaaaaaamn! Just wire the amp into the power ant wire, as far as the rms meeting the speakers idk about that.. im pretty sure that you dont need to have em at the same RMS. You can have an amp that has higher rmsthan the speakers, if you get a subwoofer you can run higher bass on that and takesome away from yourspeakers thusyoull be able to runcleaner power out of theamp to the speaker without blow it while theSub takes the brunt of the bass power.and if you dont have a sub youd know if your turning the volume up too loud for the speakers because they will start clipping and it will sound bad

Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

1000w RMS!!!! [&:]daaaaaaamn! Just wire the amp into the power ant wire, as far as the rms meeting the speakers idk about that.. im pretty sure that you dont need to have em at the same RMS. You can have an amp that has higher rmsthan the speakers, if you get a subwoofer you can run higher bass on that and takesome away from yourspeakers thusyoull be able to runcleaner power out of theamp to the speaker without blow it while theSub takes the brunt of the bass power.and if you dont have a sub youd know if your turning the volume up too loud for the speakers because they will start clipping and it will sound bad
Anyone hear an echo in here or is it just me? Just bustin on ya Spartan.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 PM
4th Gear Member

lol i was concuring because i bought the harness and thats what i was told to do.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I unfortunately was misinformed about this whole harness idea. This is why I hate circuit city.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:45 AM
4th Gear Member

car toys ftw. I went to best buy and bought a crappy best buy brand sub and then ventured over to CT for an amp and the guy was like go return this, come back with the money and i guarentee you for alil bit more of what you spent ill get you a package thats twice as good. so i listened and he hooked me up with a JBL package and the wiring harness for 230 (12in 1000 max sub/enclosure, 460max jbl amp, the wiring harness and the output chord)

Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn that sounds likea pretty nice price for all that. Did you only get the sub enclosure or did you get a sub with it too.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The guys that install at cicuit city around here are a bunch of clowns out to hunt on people that dont know anything! Like 95camaro74 said maxx dont mean nothing! I have installed custom stereo's for years and I always laugh at the people that have a cheap amp that says 1000 watts! All that means is that they put a thousand watts on it for a second and it didnt blow! The true way to tell how many watts is on your amp is look at the fuse and add a zero on however many fuses you have! Like if you have a 20 amp fuse on it ...it will handle 200 watts. In my opinion from circuit city I like mtx and kicker ! The amps put out true power and are decent price! as far as camaro sound system goes I love the way they sound stock....bose! My car dont have them and it sucks!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
4th Gear Member

i do everything myself.

to find out the "true" RMS of your Amp, do volts X amps, so 12v X 100a = 1200Watts, roughly, but what is really key, is the distortion it does RMS at, theres some crap Pyle and Sony amps, that will hit 2k watts, but at like 10% distortion, where a JL1000/1 will do at most around 1100 watts, but with >.05% distortion. that system is obviously gonna sound better. in my camaro, i had 2 Pioneer TSW3004-SPL subs hooked up to a older Profile amp(there old ones were decent) that did 1000W @ 4ohm, with 80 amps, and 2% distortion, so it sounded quite well, and bumped hard enough to flex back window 2-3 inches. those subs had RMS ratings of 1000, Burp rating of 1500-2000, and peak rating of 3000W. each. and i got them for 98bucks a piece, instead of the 350 a piece at the store.

now you dont HAVE to match RMSs, i can buy a 50w x 4 amp, and have it power 4 speakers that rms at 100. all that means is your not using full potential of the speakers. you can also do vise versa, 100w x 4, on 4 50w rms speakers, just turn the gain down, and keep the volume away from max, and you'll be fine.

Clipping isnt bad for a amp, it's bad for a sub, if the sub cant handle it. a 100 watt amp can push 500watts if your clipping it(which will lead to very high distortion) but you dont know what it's clipping is, and if you have a sub that peaks at 300. your sub is toast..

im working on a system for my ION atm, already put in a head unit, spend roughly 400 on everything, and came with free iPod hookup. just got a new job, so next thing im buying is some kicker L7s for 300 a piece, then my friend has a black JL 1000/1 he's gonna sell to me for 300 bucks(its a 1200-1400 dollar amp). those kickers will handle EASILY 1500 watts a piece, even though they are rated at 750 RMS, they're just like chevy.. massively underrated

oh and spartan, that only works if you have a 3 or 5 way amp, not a good idea to run a sub AND components of a mono, 2 or 4 way amp, and Mono-blocks at best for subs FYI, most efficent.

Quick Reply: cd player problem, please help