cd player problem, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default cd player problem, please help

i recently installed a panasonic cd player in my car, well, had one installed. as you all know, when you turn your car off, you still have power for your cd player, windows, etc for about ten minutes or until you open your door. well, my cd player will not turn off with the rest of the car. i even tried taking the radio fuse out, but it still stayed on. i know it has to to with the wiring, but i don't know what i did wrong. does anyone have any idea? and if you have any idea on how to correctly hook up the factory amp and bose speakers, let me know. but right now, my main concern is getting the power problem fixed. it sucks when you have to get a boost every morning before work.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: cd player problem, please help

mite be best to bypass the factory speaker amps, chances are, the head unit will do a better job, but it sounds like you have the ignition wire hooked up to a permanent power source, but i dont know why it wouldnt stop without a fuse. maybe you hooked it up to the wrong set of wires all together. do you have a manual for it? it should tell you what wire connects where, if you have a wiring harness.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

the speakers sound better with the factory amp. everyone thought i had a sound system when it was only factory. i think i found out what it was though. i think the acc. wire coming from the cd player is connected to the battery wire along with the main power wire. i need to find the acc wire in my car. that should do it...hopefully. at least it's not that difficult to take the dash apart. i'm pretty new at hooking stuff up like this, but it seems like a simple fix.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: buddywackos

the speakers sound better with the factory amp. everyone thought i had a sound system when it was only factory. i think i found out what it was though. i think the acc. wire coming from the cd player is connected to the battery wire along with the main power wire. i need to find the acc wire in my car. that should do it...hopefully. at least it's not that difficult to take the dash apart. i'm pretty new at hooking stuff up like this, but it seems like a simple fix.
For future reference it's worth the money to just get the wiring harness adapters for your vehicle.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

yea, i wish i would've bought it now. i still might

Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

The yellow wire should run to the constant power while the red wire is run to the switched power. (I believe...read the cd player manual, beer is making me second guess) You should be able to use a simple test light to see if you have them hooked up incorrectly.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:26 AM
2nd Gear member

i was under the impression you should never touch the yellow wire because that was the airbag, everything ive ever read about headunits and firebirds/camaros says that....

Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 AM
4th Gear Member

buy the harness/wires from mira.. its fool proof.. everything is color coded etc. As far as factory amp soundingbetter i think your friends might be hard of hearing.. i cant get up around 15 on the volume before my speakers start clipping. a stonger amp will give you more power and power thats alot cleaner than the factory amps.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member

how do i bypass the factory amp then. i have a lightning audio amp (the box said 750 watts max, but 250 "total". i have no clue what that means) that i haven't gotten hooked up yet and two audiobahn 10's. i'm completely new at this, so any help or links to help would be much appreciated. i just quit my job, so i'm gonna have alot of time to fool around with this, hopefully i won't blow my car up.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the same thing you did and wired everything into my car without the harness, I was told by the guy at circuit city there was no such thing. he probably just wanted to make the install seem complicated and get me to have them do it, but I believe the yellow gets connected to the current red wire. I know that in my car I had an entire plug not even get used, a real thin black and red one with quite a few green wires coming from it. But as long as you have the ignition wire going to the right source you should be fine. And just as a little side note when you install the amp wire it into the power antenna connection on the back of the head unit, that way instead of sending the small amount of power to making your antenna go up it will make the amp turn on, otherwise you would need another switch installed somewhere in the car that you may leave on.

Quick Reply: cd player problem, please help