Cat Back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM

my SS does not have the sticker on the pass door, I called SLP and they cant tell me if its a SLP exhaust, but for sure its looks like 3" stainless. The outlet is single with the chrome tips so it does not have the dual tips on the outlet.

what is a SLP CAI?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
4th Gear Member

It is possible your car never received the SLP package, hence there being no SLP door sticker. SLP CAI is their style intake they put on the SLP packaged cars.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Post photos and we can help... SLP can tell you what options your car originally came with if you give them the VIN... See:
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...79&BIG=10979-1

No, the SLP CAI is here, not what MKCoconuts said... (the metal part and foam):
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...47&BIG=21047-1

Originally Posted by 808SS
my SS does not have the sticker on the pass door, I called SLP and they cant tell me if its a SLP exhaust, but for sure its looks like 3" stainless. The outlet is single with the chrome tips so it does not have the dual tips on the outlet.

what is a SLP CAI?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-29-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Where did I go wrong? What you posted was what I was taking about. Lol.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Overdrive Member

^ SLP did not include the CAI on any SS, RS or WS6 cars (FireHawks either, AFAIK)... Always an aftermarket add-on...

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Okay, I think I know what you mean. They only added their lid to the SLP one's not the metal scoop as well?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Overdrive Member

Some did not receive an SLP lid either, despite being an SS (like mine)...

I have my original SLP options sheet (looks similar to the one above that you can order), there were MANY different options you could choose above the standard SS package, and it varied by the year somewhat.

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Okay, I think I know what you mean. They only added their lid to the SLP one's not the metal scoop as well?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 AM

from what I was told from SLP it has a base SS alteration package and nothing more. I emailed them and see what they can find for me.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
4th Gear Member

There are several SS packages from SLP and I know there's some options they don't list on their website like them putting in Moser 12 bolts in some of the cars.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I will give my opinion, and try to correct some things that are not true here.
Hello everyone this will be my first post and a new owner of a 02 SS!

My first mod that am doing will be the SLP lid with blackwing filter, wish I had the original blackwing

I am looking into a new catback exhaust system but since there is so many systems I cant decide which one! I am looking for a good stainless system.

I really like the way the Corsa looks with the dual tips but I am concerned about the sound. I don't want it too loud but I want a really good sound to it, don't care for the raspy sound, will be doing long tubes in the future.

Is there a catback system that will sound close to a true dual set up? I looked at the Kooks true dual but don't think there will be a good true dual sound with mufflers close to the tips (from experience).

Thanks ahead for the help!
1. I have a Blackwing lid I will be selling, if you are interested PM me.
2. You should pick the catback based on how you want your exhaust to sound. You said you are going to get LT's and don't like rasp. With this you will need to decide whether you are going to run cats or not, which you decide to go with here would change what catbacks to consider IMO. If you go with catted-Y you can get away with a loudmouth or GMMG type exhaust without much rasp. If you go with an ORY I would recommend looking into the Hooker Aerochamber, it tones down the rasp quiet a bit while still being free flowing (however it is not stainless). Here is a video of mine for reference:
I also hooked up LT's and ORY to a stock catback while I was deciding what catback to go with, this video can be found by looking through my videos.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
You have an SS, so if it still has the stock dual dual PowerFlo exhaust (which is stainless steel BTW!) -- that is one of the best flowing and sounding out there -- don't change a thing! It's not worth doing true duals on the 4th Gen - you don't need more airflow.
Not all SS's came with the Dual/Dual it was only an option, and none came with the PowerFlo. Also true duals have been proven to produce more power than most Y-pipe setups (the exception may be ones with 4" catbacks and a good merge). But you don't need more airflow unless you want to make more power.

The SS does not have a factory exhaust, it is an SLP Dual Dual (the 2nd dual means dual tips) PowerFlo exhaust, or in some cases the center mount tips... The SS was an SLP enhanced car in your year -- 2nd sticker apart from GM... Phone SLP if you have doubts or questions. SS users (WS6s too) definitely are already set with their catback -- the electronic diverter will satisfy all your sound needs. SLP Performance Parts, Inc. - Official Website - CONTACT FORM

I have the SLP CAI on both my SS and RS -- no issues -- noticeable power increase at highway speeds! Recommended.

With Y-pipes, you want it with the high-flow cats to get rid of the rasp.
See above, also I would recommend looking at the SSRA or chrs1313 ram air as opposed to the SLP. They are a far superior design and have been proven to gain at the track.

Originally Posted by craby
dual, dual is dual outlet from muffler and dual outlet at the rear. stock oem slp is a tad quieter than the aftermarket version. do the headers first and if you want more volume install aftermarket of your choice. i like my corsa.
Some of the Dual/Duals came with "the cone of silence."

what is a SLP CAI?
Give SLP the last 8 digits of the VIN and they will tell you if it is a true SS, and what options it had. The factory Dual/Dual would have had quad tips (2 on each exit), but that could have been changed. Post up a picture if you can, a dual/dual is very easy to identify by the spot welds on the bottom.

Some did not receive an SLP lid either, despite being an SS (like mine)...

I have my original SLP options sheet (looks similar to the one above that you can order), there were MANY different options you could choose above the standard SS package, and it varied by the year somewhat.
No SS got a "SLP lid" the exception is 2002's had the option to add the 345 HP package which included the Blackwing lid produced for Donaldson for SLP.

There are several SS packages from SLP and I know there's some options they don't list on their website like them putting in Moser 12 bolts in some of the cars.
There was the standard SS content (hood, spoiler, rims), then other options you could add (Exhaust, CME, suspension, chrome rims, floor mats...) but I am 99.9% sure no SS got a 12 bolt from the factory. I could be wrong though.

Please don't take my response as being a jerk, just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Cat Back exhaust