Cat Back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Default Cat Back exhaust

Hello everyone this will be my first post and a new owner of a 02 SS!

My first mod that am doing will be the SLP lid with blackwing filter, wish I had the original blackwing

I am looking into a new catback exhaust system but since there is so many systems I cant decide which one! I am looking for a good stainless system.

I really like the way the Corsa looks with the dual tips but I am concerned about the sound. I don't want it too loud but I want a really good sound to it, don't care for the raspy sound, will be doing long tubes in the future.

Is there a catback system that will sound close to a true dual set up? I looked at the Kooks true dual but don't think there will be a good true dual sound with mufflers close to the tips (from experience).

Thanks ahead for the help!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Magnaflow, SLP, Borla, Corsa, Hooker, GMMG and probably a few I am forgetting are all fine to choose from. You need to hit up youtube and ls1sounds.com to decide what you like best. Generally Magnaflow is the most quiet and reserved while the SLP loudmouths are louder and raspier (lm1 moreso than lm2). However, a y-pipe will always rasp, especially with longtubes and even more so with an ORY.

You can't get a true dual sound with a y-pipe, and the options for duals are a bit limited for fbodies. TSP is the most cost effective as it pretty much just dumps before the rear axle. The Kooks sounds good, and its the best true dual system for fbodies, besides some custom jobs I have seen done.

Also, don't get a catback off what tips it has as exhaust tips are easily changed and replaced with whatever you want. Corsa clone tips are available in a range of sizes, up to 4" outlets for a reasonable price.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Overdrive Member

You have an SS, so if it still has the stock dual dual PowerFlo exhaust (which is stainless steel BTW!) -- that is one of the best flowing and sounding out there -- don't change a thing! It's not worth doing true duals on the 4th Gen - you don't need more airflow.

Instead look at adding either ARH or Kooks LTs and catted Y-Pipe along with a NoWeeds.net electronic diverter and you will be happy as pie.

Strano hollow 35/22 sways and Koni SA shocks will give you a lot more fun in the handling department -- VERY worthwhile... A Shock Tower Brace will also help your turns track tighter. You should also do the SLP CAI -- well worth it -- just get their whole kit w/lid/bellows/filter/CAI and save a few bucks.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
You have an SS, so if it still has the stock dual dual PowerFlo exhaust (which is stainless steel BTW!) -- that is one of the best flowing and sounding out there -- don't change a thing! It's not worth doing true duals on the 4th Gen - you don't need more airflow.

Instead look at adding either ARH or Kooks LTs and catted Y-Pipe along with a NoWeeds.net electronic diverter and you will be happy as pie.

Strano hollow 35/22 sways and Koni SA shocks will give you a lot more fun in the handling department -- VERY worthwhile... A Shock Tower Brace will also help your turns track tighter. You should also do the SLP CAI -- well worth it -- just get their whole kit w/lid/bellows/filter/CAI and save a few bucks.
What do you mean dual dual powerflo exhaust? I did see the factory exhaust and its a "3 stainless catback single in dual out. Is there another option on the SS exhaust?

Thanks for the info on the suspension I will look into it, I just ordered the lid and filter but I was told that the flowpac kit will restrict air to the radiator and make the car run hotter.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Magnaflow, SLP, Borla, Corsa, Hooker, GMMG and probably a few I am forgetting are all fine to choose from. You need to hit up youtube and ls1sounds.com to decide what you like best. Generally Magnaflow is the most quiet and reserved while the SLP loudmouths are louder and raspier (lm1 moreso than lm2). However, a y-pipe will always rasp, especially with longtubes and even more so with an ORY.

You can't get a true dual sound with a y-pipe, and the options for duals are a bit limited for fbodies. TSP is the most cost effective as it pretty much just dumps before the rear axle. The Kooks sounds good, and its the best true dual system for fbodies, besides some custom jobs I have seen done.

Also, don't get a catback off what tips it has as exhaust tips are easily changed and replaced with whatever you want. Corsa clone tips are available in a range of sizes, up to 4" outlets for a reasonable price.
If it was your choice which one will you get and why on the catback systems? And thanks for the info on the corsa clone tips, is there only one clone available?

And If I were to keep the stock exhaust and go with a y pipe will the slp be a good choice and will I notice a louder output?

Anyone done LT, Y pipe with the stock catback? How does it sound?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

I went with a SLP LM2 because it was pretty cheap and sounded great on stock manifolds. I did longtubes and an ORY after, and it still sounds pretty good but it is quite raspy. If you can swing the price for a Borla or Corsa they generally still sound pretty good with LT's, however, Magnaflow is a great cheaper alternative when doing LT's.

Corsa clones come in a lot of sizes: "Corsa Clones" Stainless Steel DUAL Exhaust Slash Cut and Stagge, 6LE Designs LLC

Don't even bother with the SLP y pipe, won't do any good for a stock exhaust and won't fit different brands of LT's.

LS1 Sounds - Stock

I would change the catback out if I was going with LT's, otherwise it would feel unfinished and I feel the sound won't be that impressive.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 AM

I have the corsa system with single tips along with long tube headers and a y-pipe without the cats in right now and trust me its perfect. Sounds amazing but isnt the loudest when you're cruising in 4th gear and up. I also have an electric cutoff valve, in my opinion its an amazing set up and well worth the money

Last edited by Big Zeus08; 04-29-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Overdrive Member

The SS does not have a factory exhaust, it is an SLP Dual Dual (the 2nd dual means dual tips) PowerFlo exhaust, or in some cases the center mount tips... The SS was an SLP enhanced car in your year -- 2nd sticker apart from GM... Phone SLP if you have doubts or questions. SS users (WS6s too) definitely are already set with their catback -- the electronic diverter will satisfy all your sound needs. http://www.slponline.com/contact_site.asp

I have the SLP CAI on both my SS and RS -- no issues -- noticeable power increase at highway speeds! Recommended.

With Y-pipes, you want it with the high-flow cats to get rid of the rasp.

Originally Posted by 808SS
What do you mean dual dual powerflo exhaust? I did see the factory exhaust and its a "3 stainless catback single in dual out. Is there another option on the SS exhaust?

Thanks for the info on the suspension I will look into it, I just ordered the lid and filter but I was told that the flowpac kit will restrict air to the radiator and make the car run hotter.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-29-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Overdrive Member

No way, especially with my SS being a 'Vert, the SLP Dual Dual PowerFlo sounds great!

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
I would change the catback out if I was going with LT's, otherwise it would feel unfinished and I feel the sound won't be that impressive.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dual, dual is dual outlet from muffler and dual outlet at the rear. stock oem slp is a tad quieter than the aftermarket version. do the headers first and if you want more volume install aftermarket of your choice. i like my corsa.

Quick Reply: Cat Back exhaust