Can anyone help for future plans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Lightbulb Can anyone help for future plans?

Ok I have thought about doing an engine swap on my 96 RS. I was thinking of the LSX block.
I was wondering what will i need?
What are some of the best performance parts i can put on it like
cranksaft, headers, injectors, fuel pump, transmission, valves,
radiator, cam, pistons, etc.?

I also thought of: adding a carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber body kit, removing rear
seats and passanger, replacing driver with lighter seat, all for
weight reduction. I am aware of weight distribution and i would like
some ideas for that as well.

I know its going to be very expensive but it will be a long project, which I really want to do. I would like some sites where they great performance parts and anything that would be helpful.

FYI- i don't know a whole lot about cars, just enough i believe

Thank You!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:19 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry man but i am going to be strait with you. You don't have the knowledge or the funds to take on this project. First off if you had the money you would not be driving a RS in the first place. If you plan on running a true LSX block its going to be twice the value of your car just for the block.

You are talking about CF parts on a camaro first of all. Second you have not even talked about any real parts that are worth removing. Heater core, AC system, Front sway bars, Converting to Manuel steering, ETC

In short you dont have the knowledge, skill, time, or budget to even try this. Spend some time reading and researching. Start off small with basic mods to your car and see wear it gets you. Get involved with a F-body group in your home town. And stay away from ricers.

Once again not trying to knock you but if you would have attempted a search you could have found a tone of info. This tells me you are probably some what new and excited about jumping into this.

Your build that you are attempting just for the drivtrian and swap to your V6 will run well over 20,000 by the time you build an LSX from the ground up, build a transmission to hold it, swap out the rear end, buy all the crap you need to make a LS based engine work and all the other good stuff like custom driveshaft, etc,etc,etc. And that is given you are doing to work your self.

Once again not trying to bash you. I am here to help. But i am being realistic.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

i agree. now there's nothing wrong with a person starting something big and learning but. to build a real lsx block lik the warhawk block your goin to spend atleast $15k easy. the total of this project done right would total about $25k. now if you want to make your car a v8 with an ls1 go onto ebay find a junked up ls1 donor car get it for cheap and swap the driveline kmember computer and all. or just buy the driveline.

but as said it takes ALOT. and i feel your new to the car thing and i remember wen i got into it i wanted rims a body kit and all that. now i know a damn good amount and im buildin a 383 lt1 and shooting for 9s. you should start small learn lik said and then go big.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Like I said before, I know it is going to be really expensive. I have an RS only because it was pretty much given to me. I was/am planning on either gettin 02 SS or the 2010 maros. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I came and ask for information not to tell me its expensive and all that stuff thats why I am planning on taking my time even if it takes me 10 years or more. I know it probably not worth it, but I want to try something new and build it from the ground up and feel proud of it and be able to brag.
I did post this to help on my research too. To look at different parts and make some lists of things I would need. Can any pleas help me with this and not just tell me its expensive and that i dont know anything. I dont know anything really but I will find someone to help me that does.
Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Overdrive Member

The problem here is we don't know what you're trying to do with this car after you're done with your project. Do you want something that can barely make it to the track on it's own, do you want something that's really easy to drive around, do you want something in the middle? What are your goals? "Best" is dependent on the application...

Old 03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

well you would first need the lsx block (new im guessing is your plan) then a good bottom end look into lunati, callies, diamond, and companies lik them for pistons rods and crank. eagle would work but if your buildin a new lsx block y use them. then you need the oil pump and accessories. oil pan a set of heads (buy complete then you wont have to piece them together and have them built) then a intake manifold, throttle body, also cam lifters pushrods and rocker arms. (i think thats a motor) o gaskets duh. and then you need a computer look into efi live i think it is.

trans- depends on the cars purpose. th350, th400, build 4l80e, built 4l60e those are pretty much your options or a t56. you need a flex plate and torque converter, or flywheel and clutch.

driveshaft- chromoly is the way to go.

rear- 12 bolt or id go with a 9"

you'll need a new kmember upgrade your fuel system. i know im missing alot lik fuel rails fuel injectors and other stuff that arent coming to mind but theres a start.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

i skipped the entire ignition system lol. if you want some what of an idea of thing that need to be done you can check out my project thread. i know that its not a swap or lsx but its an idea of things that hav to be done.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

As said above a lot of your build will depend on what you want out of the car. How daily driver friendly do you want it?

You got a lot of good advice above as far as buying a donor LS1 car to start with and good info about things you would need.

The hole drive train in the car is going to have to come out. Rear end and transmission included.

Past that you have to have some idea of what you are shooting for and what you want.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

holy double post batman!

rob gave you a lot of the parts you're going to need if you don't want to find an ls1 donor car. you won't necessarily NEED a new rear end...but if you plan on making much power then its highly recommended.

nothing from the drivetrain on your car will really work at all. you would also need an ls1 kmember. i guess it depends on what size block you want to use but importmd on here is also planning on doing a swap like this...maybe he can help you a little bit