Camaro Won't Start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Camaro Won't Start...

....yep.
I went out to try to move the son of a ***** outta the way so I could get one of my parent's car outta the garage...I turned the key to start, and nothing happens. So my brother (he's a mechanic for Coast Cadillac) and I worked on it for over 4 hours, and still we can't get it to do anything.
This is what we tried:
1- Checked the starter volts...the starter isn't getting anything
2- Spiked the battery..nothing.
3- Tried to jump it...still wouldn't do anything.

The battery has plenty of volts, and neither oneof the sets of keys work. We tohught maybe one of the chips went bad...but neither key will start the thing.
We unplugged the clutch senor and tried the paper clip trick...still didn't do anything.

So finally we gave up for the night and put it in N and shoved it into another bay in the garage....so....anyone know what to do?

Btw, it's a 94 Camaro, 3.4L V6, 5 speed.

Oh...and earlier today, we were looking for air leakes because it is still running a little rough. We foundout the pipe that runs (its a metal tube) from the top of the motor to the EGR is split...after that we shut the car of and went in and had dinner. THen I tried to start it....

Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Camaro Won't Start...

If the key is on, can you run any accessories? Radio, lights, windows, etc.? And if there's a good battery voltage but nothing at the starter (and solenoid), you need to start tracing between thw ignition switch and the starter solenoid. It's possible something's wrong with the clutch position switch (or whatever it's called), and it's not allowing you to start it because it believes the clutch is not depressed.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, everything is fine. We even tested the solonid at the start, and it's justnot getting any power. We tested the clutch switch and it has power, it's fine. Its something between the clutch switch and the starter....

Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear member

The best thing to do is have your brother access some Camaro information through his dealership if they have ALLDATA available. If not, he still may be able to have access to a few F-body GM manuals that will have fantastic diagrams that will enable you to test circuits for continuity and for opens and shorts.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

We have a Hanyes repair manuel for this car...and we went through it and now we're out of things to find.

If all else fails, the car is goingto go to coastal cadillac this weekend anyways. The plan was i was going to be driving it there (it hasair in the slave cylander for the clutch so sometimes the clutch sticks in enguaged or disenguaged) and I was also going to fix the a/c (needs freeon) mount some new tires on my rims, and fix anothercouple things. He said I need to disassemble the dash below the steering colom and check the wires..has anyone else had a problem such as this?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Did you try the ignition switch itself? On mine sometimes it won't start and I have to try to turn it a couple times before it starts. Actually thought it was a dead battery before I discovered trying a couple times will start it.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have tried for almost 5 hours to start the thing...it still won't even try to turn over. I flip the switch to start, and it won't do anythingbut say "Check Engine" and flash "Security"

Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 AM
2nd Gear member

That shows that the switch is okay, at least in the ON position. Check engine should be displayed whenever the key is on, engine off.

And about your A/C... It's a completely closed system. If you need to add refrigerant, you have a leak.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I just really wanna get itmoving...lol i don't really care about the a/c atm...what good is a/c if you can't go anywherE? lol. So has anyone had this problem before?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

And my baby is back to life...finally. Lol.
Heres what happened, the wiresin the ignition switch broke or came unsaudered or something..sooo what I ended up doing was going to radioshack, and getting enough transistors to make 9.5ohms of resistance (total of 14 resistors) and I saudered them together in a strait line, and put heatshink on them, then i chopped the white wires leading to the ignotion switch just before the steering coloum, and theni wiredin a kill switch. So now theres a button under the dash you have to press to enable it to complete the circit. So now, you can literally start the car with a screw driver or something, just so long as the switch is flipped...it works for now until Ic anafford to replace the ignition switch..