Is the Camaro a reliable car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

depends alot on the model and engine and even year optispark,intakes manifolds, bellhousing bolts, etc overall not anything major or internal

Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Overdrive Member

My 99 3.8L is ticking 133K on the meter and going strong. I lost my engine at 131K due to a tune up place starting the engine with no oil in it, I still put 3000 more miles on the car after that before it really started making noise and I could have went longer but I didnt. My wife has a LS1 in her 2000 Z28 and it has 136K on the clock and still going strong.
I am not aware of any perpetual problems with the LS1 engine.
3.4L engine has some water pump gasket issues and timing cover gasket problems related to the water pump.
LT1 engines have issues with the OptiSpark
3.8L no known issues

All and all these are good reliable cars. T-tops almost always leak, convertables will need new tops every 5-10 years, power window motors will die after a few thousand miles (all cars have this issue tho). As for a safety rating they get 4/5 stars, and after getting T-boned in mine and no one was hurt and I was able to repair the car easily I can vouch for that. I will always have a Camaro in my driveway and I am not going to be giving my Sarah up for adoption any time soon.

Massey

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

3.8 no know issues? lower intake manifold gaskets and coolant leaks from all plastics parts over time. I LOVE MY CAR but im not blind. All cars have problems no matter what but a camaro is no less reliable than a camry.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I've had my car for 13 years, put alot of money into it, but not a lot of that was fixing issues. LT1's have opti, water pump, intake leaks, air pump issues. I change my oil every 2K miles and use the good stuff. I haven't had any major issues with my car and it's at almost 200K miles.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM
4th Gear Member

it all comes down to how much are you willing to pay for peace of mind?

For example, mine is a 95 Z28 with rebuilt engine, rebuilt street/strip tranny, rebuilt rear end, yeah yeah new opti and waterpump, new wires, maf, and the list continues including new window motors, tires, brakes

I have one silly gremlin I'm chasing but this car will run for quite a while because it's completely rebuilt so would you call that reliable? That's where you are with these things due to their age. You'll find a car that has been redone, or one that will need to be redone or is crying out to be redone.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Overdrive Member

OH yea forgot about those little plastic elbows. Intakes on these cars do not seem to be as much of a problem as on other 3800 Series II engines since both halves are metal. I have found alot of articles on the plastic upper manifold going bad on this engine.

Massey

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear member

No man. We just bought these cars to have them break down everyday. Lol! Jk dude. Mine is a 99 Z28 and it is running on 120xxx miles, and will still blow the tires off with ease! No leaks, no ticking, no problems at all. Everything works, shifts good, and I love it! I would deffinitely recommend one of these cars that is in good condition to anyone. But if you go used, just make sure that it has been taken care of by the previous owner.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Watch out for starting problems due to the distributor on the LT1 engines. I went through 7 distributors in a 3 months period. 6 of the 7 were faulty from GM.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:22 PM

You guys rock! This is one of the best forums I have ever been on, so many friendly people with lots of information! Thanks for the advice, I'm really excited about getting one! Going to look at a 98 on Sunday.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Matt.
You guys rock! This is one of the best forums I have ever been on, so many friendly people with lots of information! Thanks for the advice, I'm really excited about getting one! Going to look at a 98 on Sunday.
GET A V8!!!!! LS1 FTW!!!! Do it I say!!

Quick Reply: Is the Camaro a reliable car?