Buying A Z28 help? (watch out 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Default Buying A Z28 help? (watch out 56k)

hi im new to the forums and new to camaros but im talking to a guy about buying his 2001 z28 with 90000 miles. i called him up earlier today and he said the check enginelight is on and he does not know why except for maybe because of the chip he put in. could that be right? and i also do not know how to spot a real z28 could you guys give me any pointers ? it does not have z28 next to the front wheels but i guess he might have takin the badge off.

here are the pics:

Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Buying A Z28 help? (watch out 56k)

Since it is a manual, check to make sure it is a 6 speed, check the engine (it will be an LS1), gauges (speedo to 155mph), run a CARFAX report. Looks to be a clean car from the pics. Service engine soon light could be anything. A trip to AutoZone will tell you (they will pull codes for free).

Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 PM

Name:  IMG_1241.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  117.5 KB

here is a pic of the engine everything looks normal to me just a little dirty right? and i have a thing that i use to pull codes on my saturn that is obd2 so i think it would work on this. we shall see. yes speedometer goes to 155 not sure about the six speed tho because it has an aftermarket shift ****.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Ninja Administrator

thats a Z for sure.

whatever he was talking about with the chip...... have him remove it or tell him u will find another car. unless its a skip-shift eliminator thats the only thing i would take

Old 09-24-2008, 02:40 AM

need some new head lights for sure... Ebay it... Or Eklers camaro

Old 09-24-2008, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: jcZ28

need some new head lights for sure... Ebay it... Or Eklers camaro
ya that is one of the first things on my list to do along with HID's(if anyone knows a good site for them post it up) . it already has a complete aftermarket exhaust and short throw shifter here is the list he gave me

New Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch and flywheel

Long Tube Headers

High Flow Cats

Flowmaster Exhaust

Short Throw Shifter

Bose Speakers

K&N Filter

Whisper lid

Blacked out tail lights

after the lights i want to get an electric cutout but not sure yet.

i eamiled him about the chip and he said "there are chipsets in the cars that run the computer operating systems that regulate what they do. The owner before me took the stock one out and replaced it with a sport chip. I'm not sure whatit does other than give herfew more horses. My buddy Chuck changed his out on his car by himself so i imagine changing it back wouldn't be any different." should i still buy it?

i really dont mind that it has the chips but i want to know why the check engine light is on ive also read something about long tube headers and the o2 sensor if thats it ill just get a fake o2 sensor to make it happy

Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

looks nice bro, my engine light came on when i first got mine too, mine was misfiring. i had a friend change plugs and wires. the guy i bought it from took it to a local mechanic and mechanic didnt route wires right and the dipstick cut through one, he was supposed to change plugs too. my friend told me it had 7 platinum plugs and 1 ac-delco. so it was still misfiring and i had 2 injectors changed out. finally the check light went out. but when i had the diagnostics checked, i was told mass air flow sensor and 02 sensor. havent gotten them changed and still runnin good. i dont think the obd2 will work but im not sure. i thought they were for specific cars unless you get top notch generic one.good luck though bro

Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Tell him to take the car up to a auto store and get the codes run. Have him tell you exactly what all the codes are, then you can know what may be wrong with the car. I doubt it is because of some "chip" that the owner before him put in.

Then, before you buy the car, take the car yourself and have the codes run (If any). Make sure they match exactly.

Make sure the title is clean, etc.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 PM

ok so i asked him to take it to an auto parts store and get the code for me. once i get the code does anyone know of a website where i can figure out what it means? and i asked him for the vin so i can do a carfax. that should check out the title right?

sorry if im asking alot of newb qestions im 18 and this is my first car purchase so im trying to figure it all out. any tips will be appreciated

Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Overdrive Member

The auto store should give a description with the codes. If not, just post up the numbers and we can figure it out. Or you can just google it.

Quick Reply: Buying A Z28 help? (watch out 56k)