Buying a used 4th gen-what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Default Buying a used 4th gen-what to look for

My son and I are discussing selling the '02 Buick Regal GS (13.4@103) and buying an LS1 Camaro with a T56. What do I want to look for on one of these? What good things do I want on the car and what problem areas do I need to be on the lookout for?

Thanks,

Greg

Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Any gently used LS1 Camaro is a good car. Mine is a 2002 Z28 with an automatic and I love it. Look for a gently used SS, preferably a 2001 or a 2002. These year models came with the LS6 intake manifold and no EGR. When you find one that you like, listen out for rear end howls and if its got t-tops, find out if they leak.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

dont forget to check for valve stem caps, it can be really easy to over look but can tell you weather or not a person really took care of the car

Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM

I think the SS is probably going add more cost, but I would certainly be open to one. As far as T-tops go, I would avoid those if at all possible. They reduce the rigidity of the car and can be sources of leaks. Are they still targets for thieves? I know when I got my '83 Z, the T-tops were very popular with thieves. I figure that just about any used Camaro is going to need struts/shocks, brakes, tires and maybe a clutch. At least they don't have an Opti-Spark!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What to look for would depend on what you are looking at. Ls1 6 speeds still bring a pretty penny. If the car has a 150K and owned by a kid or has had several owner recently you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. If it’s a low mileage garage kept weekend only type car you just want to verify all that is true and get it on a hoist just to verify it does not have oil leaks from seals sitting. There is a SS 01 LS1 6 by me that keeps coming up on craigs list. I think it has been sold at least 3 times in the last 2 years. It is an R title for water damage so careful with stuff like that.

Leakage from the t-top is a factor but not as big a factor as it was with the late 2nd early 3rd gens. Also rigidity is less of a factor unless you plan on autocross or build a torque monster. The factory designed the forth gens to be T-tops right from the start. In fact converting a car to t-tops is not that hard and it mostly sheet metal cutting.
Also you don’t have struts. It is an upper and lower control arm system with coil over shocks and rack & pinion steering. It is more like a race car then the 3rd gens where and you can tell it when you drive them .

You want to make sure the 6 speed shift smooth in all gears. Of course they are repairable but expect to lay one a grand for the repairs & upgrades if you have to pull it apart. That is with you pulling it.

Good luck