Brake problem. Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JPrice
Well, I took it for a short drive to test it out one last time. Brakes are working better, but not perfect. Light is still on. I'm thinking the rear brakes aren't working anymore cause the e-brake doesn't work. (been like that since I got it.) I plan on getting it checked asap just to be safe.

what are you doing????

brakes and tires are 2 things you don't F with

TIG rarely uses profanity but it's needed here

not only are you risking your life but the safety of others as well

please read what Gorn said and I tell that to anyone who says their fluid was low

brake fluid doesn't just evaporate away that much, it leaked from somewhere.

You also mention that your PARKING BRAKE ( e brake when watching fast and furious) does not function

Well, your parking brake is a mechanical back up and also good for when parked on inclines but is just for the rear brakes

So, you have a leak, you have no parking brake, and you are still driving it???????????????

maybe i value your life more than you do yourself but you need to get it fixed NOW.

you don't drive on questionable tires and you never drive with bad brakes

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member

The e-brake, parking break, whatever the f$$$ you want to call it hasn't worked since I bought the car last year. I was told it wasn't the rear brakes it was the "e-brake" itself. So, I don't know. I don't know nor have I ever used drum brakes before. I'd check them but I wouldn't know where to start.

As for your concern of safety, I never took it out on the highway. I drove around in my field testing them. I'm not that stupid. They work, it slows down and comes to a stop. I just don't know why the light is on and I checked for leaks, by putting cardboard down and testing the lines. Couldn't find anything. Fluid is still full. If there was a leak wouldn't it go down?

No need to be all hostile. Lol

Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 AM
4th Gear Member

The e-brake, parking break, whatever the f$$$ you want to call it hasn't worked since I bought the car last year. I was told it wasn't the rear brakes it was the "e-brake" itself. So, I don't know. I don't know nor have I ever used drum brakes before. I'd check them but I wouldn't know where to start.

As for your concern of safety, I never took it out on the highway. I drove around in my field testing them. I'm not that stupid. They work, it slows down and comes to a stop. I just don't know why the light is on and I checked for leaks, by putting cardboard down and testing the lines. Couldn't find anything. Fluid is still full. If there was a leak wouldn't it go down?

No need to be all hostile. Lol
not hostile at all. Do you think any of us want to read a memorial post on this forum about Jprice??

Parking brake- it engages the rear brakes only be they drum or disc. Thr front brakes do the majority of stopping (that's why you replace front pads about 2-3 times before needing to do the rears)

But, in the event of master cylinder failure for example, the parking brake will slow down the vehicle albeit in greater distance.

The fluid has gone somewhere

if you have drums then a prime suspect is the rear wheel cylinders (replace both even if only one is leaking)

I would check there.

I am pleased to hear you aren't driving on the road. We want you around.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, here's a couple of "could be's". As your brake pads and shoes wear down, the caliper and wheel cylinder pistons are extended farther out in the relaxed position, more than how they were when the brakes were new. That means fluid from your reservoir would go down, because of displacement, it put more fluid into the lines and calipers/cylinders. It's very possible that when your brakes were just replaced, they loosened the bleeders to compress the caliper pistons back in (you have to open something in the line to give it relief), which would have burped brake fluid out of the bleeders. Then they could have forgotten to top the reservoir back up. Still, I would keep a close eye on the fluid level, and bleed the system again as you could have sucked air into a line or four if the fluid was that low.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll have someone check the drums for me.

But even if they are working properly again the brake light will remain on?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

But even if they are working properly again the brake light will remain on?
Which is why I suggested bleeding the brakes again. Air in the system will make the light go on, it's registering low fluid pressure.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok I'll try that. thanks

Old 05-25-2012, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Bled them yesterday and light went off by itself earlier today. Checked the fluid again earlier and its back to low again. Had my uncle check it out and he noticed it looked like its leaking behind the master cylinder where it connects to the brake booster. Ordered a new one. Got the one with the resevoir so less hassle.

I'll keep every one updated.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 AM
4th Gear Member

Bled them yesterday and light went off by itself earlier today. Checked the fluid again earlier and its back to low again. Had my uncle check it out and he noticed it looked like its leaking behind the master cylinder where it connects to the brake booster. Ordered a new one. Got the one with the resevoir so less hassle.

I'll keep every one updated.

as was mentioned by Gorn much earlier, the brake fluid is going somewhere. You've now experienced firsthand that if the brake fluid is very low, you need to find the leak, not just add fluid.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I know it's been a while and I finally fixed the problem a few weeks ago. there was a leak from the rear passenger brake cylinder. Replaced that and brakes and everything has been good.

Bad thing is buying and replacing the master brake cylinder for nothing, but oh well.