Brake Pedal Goes to the Floor?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The brake light on usally means there's just something wrong with the brakes that's not hydrolic or related. Brake light usually means a bulb out. ABS inop will be related to wheel sensor's/ABS unit/hydrolic issues and will have a code associated to them that you can pull out of the computer with a reader that will read ABS codes.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by greenarrow
The brake light on usally means there's just something wrong with the brakes that's not hydrolic or related. Brake light usually means a bulb out. ABS inop will be related to wheel sensor's/ABS unit/hydrolic issues and will have a code associated to them that you can pull out of the computer with a reader that will read ABS codes.
The red brake light has two triggers. It indicates a hydralic issue or it shows you that you have the park brake on. The brake light is hooked directly to the saftey switch in the combination valve, the switch turns on when there is uneven pressure in your lines , AKA a leak. To the best of my knowledge the ABS light will not set a code for a leak. It is more for a ABS only issue. Here in PA a Car with the ABS light on will not fail state inspection but it will fail for the red brake light being on.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

abs will set if rear center brake light is out. the brake light can be reset by pressing the brake peddle very hard. i would recomend looking for a disk brake rearend and replace the whole thing.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear member

You only have to replace axle seals and a pinion seal.... why do you think you need an entire rear end? I personally would rather have discs over drums, but, just so you know, its not necessary to replace or rebuild the whole rear end (barring any gear whine or other issues) for leaking seals..... and faaaar cheaper to boot.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Z's
You only have to replace axle seals and a pinion seal.... why do you think you need an entire rear end? I personally would rather have discs over drums, but, just so you know, its not necessary to replace or rebuild the whole rear end (barring any gear whine or other issues) for leaking seals..... and faaaar cheaper to boot.
true dat

Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Well I don’t know if the differential is any good anymore since the retard that had it before me ignored the problem and almost ran it out of gear grease. I agree I was thinking or just replacing the rear end with a disc brake rear end. How hard is it to do this and what years are interchangeable? And what do I do about the parking brake if I do replace the rear end with disc brakes? And I will look into the brake light more. There are no brake related codes on the car.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by darthtater
There are no brake related codes on the car.
The "code" is your brake light being on. As I had said, and others later confirmed, the light means air or a leak in the hydraulic system. That's assuming the light isn't on due to a faulty or stuck switch at your parking brake. The light is dual purpose.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

My brake light was on, the parking brake switch was good, as was the master cylinder switch, but the light still stayed on. It mine turned out to be the EBCM unit tucked way up under the drivers side of the dash. Here is my brake light saga...I chased my tail for a couple of weeks before getting the factory service manuals.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...s-71788/page4/

Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

correct there are no codes that a scanner can read for just brakes. abs there are codes and it takes a special scanner to read them. if a code is stored abs light is supposed to come on. now thats not to say it will. have not gotten into traction control to know if it has trouble codes or not. if you do not have traction control, (not to be confused with abs) then you want a rearend from a 4th gen camaro 93-02 that is not traction control. changing the whole rearend is not a hard project. you will want to get the ebrake with the rearend. get the caliper and ebrake cables that connects into the rearend as well to be sure.

Last edited by craby; 01-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Replaced the back brake shoes and the seal on the back side that was bad and the pinion seal and drive line bearing. I go everything done and replaced and put everything back. I bled the brakes and there was no air in the system aaaannndddd BAM still no pressure. -.- <---- my facial expression. The drum brakes are adjusted to perfection. The front brakes are good new pads and everything. What else is there? And when you press the pedal with the drums off with the car shut off should the shoes go outward? Or not since it's shut off? The parking brake is also adjusted properly. Thanks guys.
~Tater

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Goes to the Floor?!