Beginner question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Beginner question.

Alright I checked my engine oil which Is low so I am looking on opinions for the best brand of oil for my 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car. It takes 5w 30 oil. I was wondering If anyone can reccomend a oil that you think would be best for this car. Another question I had was how come when I pulled the trans fluid rod out to check the level It came up past the hot mark then I checked It again then It came past the hot mark again but the car hasnt been drove today and I touched the fluid that wasnt hot either. Is It coming up past that because there Is something wrong or because thats the level of the fluid I Just didnt get why there wasnt a refil mark but Instead tempature marks. Thanks for helping.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Droid

You need to check the transmission fluid with the engine running. Your engine must have accumulated a lot of miles at this point, and the 5w30 oil may be a little too light, 10w40 may work out better. What oil pressure is the gauge showing?

Last edited by z28pete; 08-12-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

I agree with Pete you should put thicker oil in and I'm a fan of castrol gtx

Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by z28pete
ou need to check the transmission fluid with the engine running. Your engine must have accumulated a lot of miles at this point, and the 5w30 oil may be a little too light, 10w40 may work out better. What oil pressure is the gauge showing?
Why would I check the transmittion fluid when Its running because all I wanna know Is If It has enough or what the heat things are all about the rod did say when the car Is In park but I figured when Its shut off.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear member

The oil pressure was at 60 when I turned the car on thats where It went as far as the miles on the car It has like 161k miles are you saying I should use 10w 30 Instead of the reccomended 5w 30.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Why would I check the transmittion fluid when Its running because all I wanna know Is If It has enough or what the heat things are all about the rod did say when the car Is In park but I figured when Its shut off.
Because that's how you're supposed to check the fluid level, after you run the car for a while, and with it hot and running. With the engine running, the fluid is being pumped through the trans, and that's when you want to check the level. That's why the stick has a "hot" mark. When the engine is shut off, the trans fluid stops getting pumped though, and the level will then settle down....actually up.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Because that's how you're supposed to check the fluid level, after you run the car for a while, and with it hot and running. With the engine running, the fluid is being pumped through the trans, and that's when you want to check the level. That's why the stick has a "hot" mark. When the engine is shut off, the trans fluid stops getting pumped though, and the level will then settle down....actually up.
Well then when It shows up on the tempature mark Is that the level or the temp mark because how could It show the level of fluid and the tempature at the same time.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

OMG, dude read your operators manual on how to check your transmission fluid. 10W 30 and 5W30 are the same thing in a warmed up car. If someone gives you bad advice on this site there will be 20 post in an a few hours telling you he is wrong.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Well then when It shows up on the tempature mark Is that the level or the temp mark because how could It show the level of fluid and the tempature at the same time.
Doesn't your dipstick have two lines, one that says "cold" and one that says "hot"? Check it at the hot line, when it's hot. I think I know what's confusing you. Transmission fluid expands when it gets hot, which is why the cold and hot mark.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Doesn't your dipstick have two lines, one that says "cold" and one that says "hot"? Check it at the hot line, when it's hot. I think I know what's confusing you. Transmission fluid expands when it gets hot, which is why the cold and hot mark.
Well the part thats confusing me Is when I pull the dipstick out and Its at hot or whatever It may be at am I reading the temp or Is that the actual amount of fluid In there because Im wondering If I need to add more but when I pull the thing out Im confused If Im reading how hot It Is or If I am reading the level of fluid does that make sense to you.

Quick Reply: Beginner question.