Basic Questions about my new Z28!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Basic Questions about my new Z28!

Ok so I've had this car for almost 5 months and just love it to pieces! I have noticed some minor things that I wonder about, for example, the heater works only when the car is very warmed up. Is that normal?

Also, the water temp. basically holds at about 185 but then as I get into traffic or in town it rises to about 210, never much more than that, and if I continue in town at traffic lights, it will hold at 210. It does not overheat, at all, I've checked the antifreeze level and it's perfect. Is that normal?

My drivers side window takes FOREVER to power up, and down for that matter. Is that just the motor?

And a couple times the fuel pump has not pumped properly causing the car to stall. If I give it a few minutes it starts up fine and drives fine. It's done this twice in the 5 months I've had it, is that fuel pressure? I've already had the fuel filter changed.

That's all I can think of for now, any info is appreciated!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Droid

The temp is normal for the car. The window motor may be on the way out or the mechanism could use a little lube. The only way to know for sure if the pump is good is to check the pressure with a gage. Usually, when fuel pumps die they don't come back to life, so IMO you have some other problem besides the pump.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Pete covered a lot

window motor- yup, you'll be changing it soon

temp- that's normal but if you've never flushed the cooling system then do it

occasional stalling- could be anything

you need to eliminate the basics such as clean air filter, new plugs and wires.

Do you still have the cat(s) on the car? If so, they might have become restricted (in addtion to inhaling the engine needs to exhale)

O2 sensors should also be checked

now you've covered the basics and if the problem persists, you can diagnose it.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

cool...............................

Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

and what yr is the car?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Great info! Thanks. By the way, where in the blazes is the air filter?? Also, my rear defroster is not working and I can see that on the passenger side the connector is not connected. Any thoughts on that?

One more thing...what kind of spark plugs do you all recommend? I have a 1994 Camaro Z28, absolutely LOVE this car! T tops are great and they do not leak!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

On my '95 conv, the passenger side defroster wire was disconnected, so I grounded it to the body, and the defroster works great. I made sure to use a heavy gauge wire and contact, since there seems to be a lot of current involved.

My air filter is in a box on the driver's side near the front.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:09 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

AC Delco RapidFire plugs are great. Also your air filter is in the front of the engine compartment on the driver's, right behind the headlights. And if the defrost is just disconnected, see if you can just reconnect it before ripping stuff apart to reground it. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok so I found the air filter, thanks for that, and the rear defroster wire is connected but the 2 feet that attached to the metal bar is not connected. What should I use to connect that back to the metal bar on the window? Could that be it?
Another question, what's the deal with the pesky low coolant light? My reservior is full but that light decides to come on after I've been driving for a while and when the car gets pretty warm.
And, I've put some 134a in it to charge up the AC system but it was not enough..any thoughts as to how much that system holds??

Thank you!!

Quick Reply: Basic Questions about my new Z28!