Basic Bolt Ons for Horsepower, Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Basic Bolt Ons for Horsepower, Need Suggestions

I can understand your frustration, Conundrum,if people don't answer your question the way you expected, but realize, you are partly to blame: This one question "I have a [nearly stock] F-body and what should I do to it to get more power?" comes up somewhere between three to tentimes a week on this forum.That is why alot of the forum members don't respond. They've answered it way too often, over and over.I know I have, and again, over and over again.

So, anyone who spends a couple of hours looking through old threads here will get all the info they want - over and over too.

But for the record, everyone should start with cold air inducation, headers, and a good cat back. The WS6 has a pretty good induction already so I'd leave that alone. Same for the cat back. Thus, long tube headers are the first priority. At that point you have to make a decision: where are you going with the car. Develop a long term plan. If you plan to leave the stock internals alone and spent only a bit (less than $1000 on parts, altogether), then go with high-ratio rockers, upgraded intake manifold and throttle body, and a good tune, and with the headers you will have about 35-40 RWHP more than a stock WS6. Spend a bit more and install a cam instead of high lift rockers (it would cost another $300-$500 more than rockers) and you have about 45-50 RWHP more than stock. Plan to spend even more, on heads and a cam, and bigger manifold than before and etc. ($3000 total), and you have up to85 RWHP gain. Beyond that, you need to start thinking about spending serious money: superchargers, strocker blocks, and reinforcing the bottom end.
But start with good long tube headers. The add a good bit of power and you need them regardless of what else you do, and the are "next" on the list of priorities after CAI and catback, which your car came from the factory with.