Base model or RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There has been a lot of debate on the net about the correct RPO code of the RS. Do you see one listed on that page? The debate even has people that bough cars new not agreeing on what the true RPO was. Some say it was Y3F that was later changed to the appearance package and there are other that do not have the Y3F but have the build sheet with RS package listed. It seems GM changed the way they called for the RS several times in the 2 years they built them.

De-badging a car is more common they you think. It can be done in 5 minutes with a hair dryer and a lot of guys like the cleaner look.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow. You would think that it having the RS package would be clearly labeled. I've come to the conclusion the RS or Base there basically the same car with the same engine and that will work for me. But like i said before i don't want to look like a tool and put RS badges on a base model. I think ill stick with a clean badge free look. lol

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Historically the RS package has just been cosmetics not engine or driveline related. With my 67 RS/SS the RS package is just the hideaway headlight and different tail lights and of course the rims, that is where the term rally wheels come from.

Honesty if you want the badges and you have the ground effects you should do it. I have never been a big fan of the RS rear spoiler. Like I said in 97 the ONLY way to get the ground effects was to order the RS package. IMO It is 10 times more likely that someone de-badged it then it is someone found a complete ground effects and spoiler and put that on a base car. Also go check your RPO codes. Not every RS has Y3F but every car that does have Y3F is an RS.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-30-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM
4th Gear Member

found on the drivers door door y3f ,gear ratio 3.08 ,they may have took them off ,in I don't care weather mine is an like that I got all but the front ground effects piece ,I think a guy in this day an age can do what he wants ,I have seen ss on a base model that had an ss hood an was a v6 kid said want to be what could I say , hummm .but to each there own ,if I had the front end of the ss on my z28 ,I may add ss badges ,its just for looks ,I would not tell people ,its an ss ,couse its better then an ss to me or will be ,yes those full ground kits were so low they got ripped off ,guys put faulse badgeing of all kinds ,to me it just being honest if some asks,now there sharp looking cars but up hear they get ripped off all the time ,they were like 2 inches to the ground ,the one that's real bad is when a guy puts v8 on a v6 or like 6.6l on 4.6l,now you taek mine I put rs bageing on it an I am very sure hardly no one knows ,or even notices? show us pictures of the car for me sport appearance package is close enough ,I had no reason to think it was not a rallley sport ,good old ralley red .mine had a lot of upgrades too ,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-30-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Winder
Wow. You would think that it having the RS package would be clearly labeled. I've come to the conclusion the RS or Base there basically the same car with the same engine and that will work for me. But like i said before i don't want to look like a tool and put RS badges on a base model. I think ill stick with a clean badge free look. lol
post some pictures o the car I got to see it ?,oh an I think they look great I now remember I seen a 96 a while back the kid was selling it for 2000.00 had like 150.000 miles his front peace was intact but cracked an the car was a mess ,mine is missing just the front part wich to me makes the car look hot,but I think from 98 with the nose looking different ,it fit the look with the front piece ,but I am kinda glad I don't have it around hear ,an checiking it out I suppose they could have made a SP emblem meening sport package,or SAP meening sport apearence package hehehehe they can be put on any of the cars ,they also meting y3f an rs meeing the same when it comes to buying ground effects ,pictures gu4 gear ratio 3,08 look on crabys list for

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-30-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
,I had no reason to think it was not a rallley sport ,good old ralley red .mine had a lot of upgrades too ,
No reason besides the fact GM did not build a RS in 1999? But it is your car, if you want to put an Impala SS decal on the side feel free. This is all about opinions. I put the SS hood and spoiler on my 2000 Z28, I may re-badge it if I find the right badges as the right price. I also already have the SS Aluminum driveshaft and the SS 32mm sway bar. I plan on getting the SLP Loudmouth exhaust and the SLP CAI. Purist will hate me because it is not a real SS. But I get to drive it every day, if it was a real SS I don't think I could bring myself to put it out on heavy commuted roads 60 miles per day.

It does annoy me when 50% of 3.4 Camaros on craigs list say they are RS's when GM never built a 3.4 RS.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-30-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 PM
4th Gear Member

? why would I put impala ss on the side of my Camaro thought to be as close to rs as possible ,I think that would be a bit far out ,I think theres a limit as well,its all good,an I agree,you could ask 99 out 100 people ,mabey one would notice for sure ,I had one guy before I I put the rs on there ask if was a ls 1 couse of the cat back Dual Exhaust,i was going to keep it that way plain all red ,thanks for the info gorn your a very knowledgable guy I know , theres a fine line there ,an yes the 3.4l r changed the engine ,some say there is buick 3.8 superrger that fit on those cars I have not seen one yet ,the real one ,another thing is some guys will put one of those little aftermarket fans in the place of the airfilter ,an call it a turbo , the hoses that go with it an call it a super charger the real deal I have not seen have you ,well I have seen but not in depth ,I have not seen what kinda Hp they make I would think if they did it would be talked about more ,that is the realthing not the fakes,another thing is the purist ,they can have there life ,I would not see anything wrong with your plan gorn oh they got some good ones on ebay SS,today seen a 98 3800 with z28 badges on it ,now that's just not right,post some pictures windor

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-31-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: oh hehehe SAP SP SS RS i dont know overlaping
Old 11-26-2015, 02:01 PM
4th Gear Member

seen a 94 3.4l with ss emlems on it ,now that gets my ASH vs evil ,I meen yes I put rs on my 99 ,but its got a sport appearance ,when I see that it just ticks me off, there person wants 2000 for 200.000 miles ,I said next spring would give 500.00 for the parts,no that's a huge misrepresented of the real ss,right hear in troy,i have seen an ss with z28 hood couse someone gave him 1200.00 for his hood wich is believable had to have it the ss hood on his z28 ,I think even an ss hood look good on an rs

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-26-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:56 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Winder
I just don't want to look like a tool putting RS badges on a base model. Lol.
This is from early in the thread, this is about opinion. Putting a Z28 or SS tag on a V6 falls under the tool definition for me. If you clone something and put the badges on it fine. but in my opinion there should be some effort. I am sure there are many guys out there that will say putting SS badges on anything not originally a SS is being a tool.

Since the engine did not change between the Z28 and the SS cloning is not a big deal.

Electric fans in the intake do not work. The only thing they do is remove some weight by making your wallet lighter. Even a gas power leaf blower does not have enough CFM to effect HP. remember its not just moving air you need to build pressure and a fan will not do that. Search youtube for "Roadkill leaf blower" Road kill is a great show. Compare what they did to a single 12 volt fan.

Super charger on the 3800 has been done and has been proven to be no where near worth it. The biggest issue is if you look at the FWD supercharged 3800 the air intake comes out the back of the motor. Your throttle plate would be about the same place as your radio is right now. Good Cam/Headers/ port and polish heads and a tune will out run the supercharge 3800 for about 20% of the work and money.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-04-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:57 AM
2nd Gear member

RPO codes that SPECIFICALLY identify a 96-97 RS!

CAMARO RS
coupe/convertible/preferred equipment group
1SN/1SR/BASE MODEL
1SP/1SS/PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP 1
1SQ/1ST/PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP 2

A regular V6 Camaro coupe will only be 1SA, 1SB, or 1SC
the convertible will be 1SD, 1SE, or 1SF.

Quick Reply: Base model or RS?