Base model or RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Base model or RS?

Hello, im new to the Camaro scene and have just purchased a 97 Camaro. But im confused on whether its a base model or an RS. It doesn't Have any of the RS badges on it or anything. Is there any sure way to tell. Searching the vin number is no help as it says it could be either a base or RS. I know its not an SS because it has the gen 2 3800 in it.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM
4th Gear Member

its an RS ,or you can call it one the ss had a v8 engine ,I have RS I just got enblems on it 12,00 for the set one ebay not any on it ,an I don't think it needsground affects to be one ,welcome to the forum ,the ones I got are real too rs is the base model I do think so ,couse mine has the ground effects leather an stainless exhaust all the goodies ralley sport enjoy it there fun,oh another thing that's the gen 4 3800 2,an there is an ss as well ss an z28

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
its an RS ,or you can call it one the ss had a v8 engine ,I have RS I just got enblems on it 12,00 for the set one ebay not any on it ,an I don't think it needsground affects to be one ,welcome to the forum ,the ones I got are real too rs is the base model I do think so ,couse mine has the ground effects leather an stainless exhaust all the goodies ralley sport enjoy it there fun
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess that would explain why the vin comes up as either lol. I just searched eBay but didn't find any OEM badges. Ill probably just go to a junk yard and see if there's any, if not then ill just order some aftermarket ones off eBay. I just don't want to look like a tool putting RS badges on a base model. Lol.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 PM
4th Gear Member

an some came with y87 package sportier streering aburn limited slip more aggressive gear ratio Dual ratio,I don't know if my car has it or not an has 4 disk brakes wich I thought they all had anyhow

Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Mine has 2 drums in the back and disks in the front. But mine has the spoiler in the back and a the ground effects kit. I have no idea how to tell the gearing or if its limited slip. probably this weekend ill do some more research and see what i come up with.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

For 96-97 where made by GM. They have the RS package which is an appearance package. This is the factory body kit with a different rear spoiler. GM built less then 9000 RS's in 97. An original body kit can be tuff to find because they only made 9000 and most of those have messed up front pcs. I guess they hang a little to low. It is just my opinion but adding the RS badges with out the other RS stuff would be tool-ish. honestly I get annoyed when people advertise their base models as RS's. Hey you want to build a clone more power to you, you are most likely putting way more effort and expense then the people who bought new ones, but don't just call you Camaro an RS because it is not a Z28 or a SS.

GM stopped calling the appearance package the RS in 98. You could still get an appearance packages but you could get it on anything even a SS. Again it is just my options but if you are talking 3800's the 97 RS/Y87 5 speed ragtop is the top dog.

In 2001-02 GM gave SLP the right to the RS tag. At that point they became like the SS They did a base RS but you could add even more aftermarket options and they all showed up on the SLP door sticker.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-30-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Winder
Mine has 2 drums in the back and disks in the front. But mine has the spoiler in the back and a the ground effects kit. I have no idea how to tell the gearing or if its limited slip. probably this weekend ill do some more research and see what i come up with.
98-up all have 4 disk brakes. With drums in the back you do not have a Y87 option but the Y87 option was separate from the RS package. In 97 if the car came with ground effect and rear spoiler it was an RS

Old 10-29-2015, 08:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
98-up all have 4 disk brakes. With drums in the back you do not have a Y87 option but the Y87 option was separate from the RS package. In 97 if the car came with ground effect and rear spoiler it was an RS
So mine is an RS model but it doesn't have the y87 package. I wonder why it doesn't have the rs Badges. Man GM sure made this a confusing endeavor. lol

Old 10-29-2015, 09:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you looked for the rpo (manufacture) codes. should be a sticker in the glove box or the center consol with a bunch of letters and numbers on it. if you can find it, this shows what they mean. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...o-codes-50977/

Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
have you looked for the rpo (manufacture) codes. should be a sticker in the glove box or the center consol with a bunch of letters and numbers on it. if you can find it, this shows what they mean. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...o-codes-50977/
Ill look tomorrow when i pick it up. Wasn't able to get it today because the NYS DMV decided they wanted to break the computers state wide. Needless to say i have all the paper work for it but they couldn't charge me... So now i have to go back tomorrow and deal with the lines again. I hope that it wasn't some omen trying to tell me its a bad car

Quick Reply: Base model or RS?