Bad idle can you help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Default Bad idle can you help please!!

Hi,

Im in need of some help. i just purchased a 94 camaro z28 with the lt1. When i went to go pick this car up it idled funny whenever i was sitting at a stop with the car in drive.The guy i told me it needed new plugs. So i bought the car and purchased new plugs for it and it didnt fix the problem, tho it did seem to make the issue a bit better. I was reading more about bad idling on here and most people said to replace the IAC or to take it out and clean it, so i took it out and cleaned it, but didnt help. i was wondering if i need to go buy a new one or if its something else? I also read it might be a vacuum leak. My car only seems to do this really hard idle after it warms up for a few minutes and its only when im at a complete stop,(if im to put the car in nutreal when its doing it it idles fine). The RPMs stay at a bout 700 when its idleing hard and when its idleing fine. The car doesnt always do it either. Will replaceing the wires too maybe help? I really need some help can anyone give me any imput.... thanks a lot

Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be wires, not fun but if the ones in it are lookin old and crusty better do it. try running some injector cleaner threw it for a tank of gas. i think the guys recomend sea foam, somethin like that anyways. try opening the hood when its dark out and look for spark coming off the wires. the darker the better. did it once and all the wires were all lit up, dont know how it was running. hows the battery voltage at idle in gear?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 AM
2nd Gear member

I had a wire burnt into and it ran like crap. I bought wires 3 years ago and replaced the drivers side since the back drivers side on was bad and still havent put the passenger side on. They are a really hard to get too. Maybe the opti could do that too since it does it when it warms up. It seems like a wire would do it cold too. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM

could be wires, not fun but if the ones in it are lookin old and crusty better do it. try running some injector cleaner threw it for a tank of gas. i think the guys recomend sea foam, somethin like that anyways. try opening the hood when its dark out and look for spark coming off the wires. the darker the better. did it once and all the wires were all lit up, dont know how it was running. hows the battery voltage at idle in gear?

i checked the battery voltage when its idleing and it i just a bit over normal. and tried to see if there was any spark coming off the wires while runnning, but didnt appear so.....

thanks for your replies

Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try running some injector cleaner threw it. sea foam or somethin like that.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM
AGH

The night time look for arcing did not work for me, but that was exactly the problem. Two wires were burned and it was not visible. Changed out all 8 wires and problem was solved.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ hes right, if u want get a buddy to feel along the wires and see if he lights up. lol. yah if the wire is grounded against somthing then it wont spark and if u cant see it well u cant see it.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 PM

alright cool thanks to all you guys..im gonna go change all the wires tomorrow and ill let you know how it works out.. Thanks again

Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Default ohh crap

bad news i changed all the wires in my car today(first time ive ever done any). i go to start the car and it starts but now a slight smoke is coming from around the first spark plug on each side after the cars running for about 20 seconds.(kind of smells like burning hair) idk what it is, idk if its cuz a wires are in the wrong spot, or if its cuz the wire isnt plugged in far enough, or if its just the anti freeze that i spilled on the engine while working on it? any help? and would the car even start if some of the wires werent hooked up right?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, it will run, just miss but it wouldnt smoke. Maybe you just have oil leaking from your valve covers. Are you sure your plugs are tight?

Quick Reply: Bad idle can you help please!!