Baby has an attitude!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Baby has an attitude!!

I'm finding my Haynes manual completely useless right now- Yes it does happen! The issue- she dies when I sit at idle for to long. Fuel filter- check, spark plugs- check, vac lines- check. This started when my CAI intake got wet (submerged) and the starter to- replaced the starter, good to go, few days go by and at stop lights she would die, the oil pressure would drop, then she'd die. I can put it in neutral and rev it up to stay running, but this is not a fix. I cleaned the filter on the CAI and raised it up some by removing a section of tubing. I had to drop the exhaust manifold all the way in the front just to get the starter out! (Thank you custom exhaust) I know its torqued and sealed there. For a few weeks I was able to get around the prob by removing the cat cover and run it open- LOUD, but I love it. Now it isn't helping. i have a state insp in like a week! Help!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Overdrive Member

Any codes?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you got water in the intake i would test the maf and iac. im sure the maf does not like water

Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Any codes?
lol why does everyone ask this?! Yeah I get it, codes would help solve the problem but don't you think if he had any codes that he would post them?! Just saying...

Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ummm, no

Old 08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mymaro4
...This started when my CAI intake got wet (submerged) and the starter to- replaced the starter, good to go, few days go by and at stop lights she would die, the oil pressure would drop, then she'd die.
So...you submerged the CAI. That means the engine was sucking water through the intake (assuming your story meant it happened while driving). You know what happens when things get wet and then dry out later? You guessed it, rust and corrosion. I would check all sensors and wire connections that are in line with your air intake. Just be careful, parts of the MAF sensor don't like getting poked at. Try using a spray MAF sensor cleaner, you can get it at places like AutoZone, etc. Also check the battery connection at the starter for rust/corrosion, just for the fun of it.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you!! I'm a 'she" BTW- Just FYI, lol- OK no codes - mainly because Auto Zones machine is on the frizz. I went through a puddle (huge ) slow as i could and turned right into a parking lot and shut it down. No more than 25ft. No start- the tow truck guy had all these theories (incorrect) I have considered rust and corrosion for my calipers sticking- The front rotors only were wore all the way down while the rear is still good as gold. The tube that comes off my CAI did blow off- it was away from the CAI when i popped the hood. I got down looked and seen how wet the filter was- did a bit of cursing, and called the tow truck- i figured possibly a little water got to my engine- Sea Foam, pulled plugs and turned the ignition to blow out the water. Let her sit, found out the starter was junked, fixed that- lotsa time to rust up. Battery is prefect- i installed my Halos and fog lights even afterwords- although I did get vapor lock 2 days after she was running- Hmmm, forgot about that- no repeats. I have looked at every line for rust- New symptom tho!
Argh... I have a leak- Oil I think.. just seen it, nice- so I'm changing the oil again today. The power steering feels great but the reservoir started having some seepage, nothing but enough to make it look wet- and it seems full all the time, but like I said steerings good- I have the MSD junk in there so I cant always refer to my manual. its hot for NOS so that has made a little bit of things hard to look at. I wish I could put a 4 barrel Holley carb and a new filter system out the front of my hoods.. I miss my 79 on days like today.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mymaro4
Thank you!! I'm a 'she" BTW-
Hmmmm, now there's gotta be a female driver joke in there somewhere...nothing comes to mind though!
How high was the river that you forged? Just curious if something else may have gotten wet and corroded. And I don't think I would blame the water on the worn rotors, the calipers are made to get wet. And because of weight transfer when stopping, the front brakes tend to wear at a two to one ratio (give or take) with the backs.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

what kind of engine are we talking about?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Engine is a LT1, but modded to the hilt- 500HP last check, I changed the fuel filter again- I think I might have messed up a line or the filter because - here I am laying under my Baby tracing every single inch of her- LOVE IT- and seen where the two different places i had to drop the exhaust to remove the starter had caused me to move some fuel line, not to much- but they werre not in the holders- traced back to the filter which looked ****-eyed, she seems ok now but I need to get it on I-10 for a few and then down to the streets for some Idle- its true the rotors just might be toast from normal wear, but im real light on brakes- years of driving a stick. I got a new K&N oil filter -Woot- so Im happy about that, had some kind of 'whatever on her before. Even if its unrelated I havent tried the oil filters yet (weird the things I get excited about, geez)
GOOD NEWS- No codes at all- BAD news- the service engine soon light didnt reat at all, like it was grounded? IDK- I'm posting new pics of my new lights- I think the new side markers are to Aqua looking for the car- any opinions...

Quick Reply: Baby has an attitude!!