anywhere to get some sort of locking lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default anywhere to get some sort of locking lug nuts?

basically i was thinking that it would be a good idea to get something like locking lug nuts so that my wheels are less likely to get stolen. Someone told me that i might be able to put one special lug on each wheel and it will help prevent wheel theft.. If anyone knows where I can get something nice like that for a 99 camaro SS please let me know!

thanks

Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: anywhere to get some sort of locking lug nuts?

auto zone sells kits.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

do u all feel that these "kits" are a reasonable deterant to help prevent wheel theft?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

In theory it should help, at least against "casual" thieves since you cannot remove the wheels with a standard wheel wrench. My 'maro came with some factory "locking" lug nuts. Since I'm not in a high-risk area, they're more of annoyance to me. Heaven forbid you tear up the specialized teeth on the locking nuts, or if you tear up the special tool it will require to remove them though, at that point, even legitimate removal is a difficult prospect.

Also: You have to keep the "key" with the car at all times, just in case you have a flat ever (so if thieves broke into the car and found the "key," it suddenly becomes quite moot).

Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
4th Gear Member

advanced auto has a kit makes it impossible to steel without having a piece that inserts into lug nut(star shaped), and then has to have rite size wrench(it makes it into a 1inch nut), it's like a 60 dollar kit for16 regnuts and 4 locking ones, and u can get all 20 locking ones for like 100 or something. i'd say it's pretty effective, cuz unless thief has kit, they wont be able to get rims( although they look gaudy on rims unless u have a center cap covering nuts

Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear member

Just so everyone knows, All you need is an old sparkplug socket to remove them. it works every time, not to mention the tool kit for removing locking lugs is readily available to the public. all this makes those stupid kits useless. In todays world a thief won't screw with jacking up the car, blocking it, and removeing each wheel by hand. It's faster and easier to just take the whole car.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:03 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hackson

do u all feel that these "kits" are a reasonable deterant to help prevent wheel theft?
No.... Locking Lug Nuts are only a problem for you and not some one one who wants your wheels.