another thread on cams =p

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear member
Default another thread on cams =p

halllooo! how's it going yall?

so its summer time (woohoo) which means im working a lot more and get a little bit more of the $$. So since all the basic things have been done already on my car i feel its time to start slowly buying all the stuff i need for a cam swap!!

this beign said im being faced with many options and some questions...

first off...

im trying to decide between the cc305, the LT4 HCK, and the cc503... I'm leaning more towards the 503 though... Im looking for a nicer low end cam and since just due to paranoia, i never go over 5000rpm anyway (even though i had the rev limiter removed) Im reallly wanting to get over the 300hp mark =[

I realyl want to avoid doing anything with the heads on the car at this time, so i want a cam and a way to avoid this at all costs!!!! Now i know the HCK comes with all it needs so these questions are moreso aimed at the cc305 and the cc503, could i instead of 1.6rrs get 1.7s? would that be of any benefit, and can it be done without the head work? Does anybody know of any good reliable nnumbers off of any of these cams?

also, for the cc cams, what all do i need, i know i need the lifters, the springs, the cam itself, the RRs, some pushrods...anything else? Thanks guys for the info

most likely i'll have to have it professionaly installed, unless you guys think that a 17 year old with only basic hand tools and half of a 2 car garage can do it by himself? =]

oh one more question, with all of these cams, do i need to get a new timing chain? why or why not?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
94z
1st Gear Member
Default RE: another thread on cams =p

I swear if I had a twin brother i think it would be you... into baseball, a year yougner then me, and almost the same exact car.

More to the topic, Im doing the exact same thing (other then the heads im getting) and I decided to go with the cc305 instead of the lt4 kit for my car. I decided on the 305 because it has a little bit more oomph in it but still keeps the car where i want it to be. I dont like going over 5k rpms in my car eather and the band on the cam is 1500-5500. Im not sure about the 1.7rr fitting or not and im going with 1.6's along with new pushrods. As far as a good set of hydraulic lifters go, I still have not found a pair that i would like to get, they are all stupidly high in price such as $500+, if you find a good pair let me know.

on a final note Im 18 and I plan on doing all of this myself in half a 2 car garage.Im replacing everything on the topend including heads and its not too too difficult. Id amagine just doing a cam swap and valvetrain would be easier then what im doing.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Overdrive Member

cam swaps are only effective with the proper upgrades:

-exhaust(headers and cat back)
-valve train(rockers,springs and pushrods)
-heads that match the cam

i know everyone wants that sound, but its better to do the cam and heads at the same time or you wont get the right results, it wont run as well if you have a big cam like youre looking at and keeping the stock heads.get the 1.6rr, those are fine.you will need to get the computer tuned

Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Overdrive Member

Go for the 1.6, or ever consider 1.5:1 roller rockers. With a smaller ratio rocker you're going to have less stress on the valve train, so it's actually better if you go for a 1.5:1 and have a cam that has a slightly higher lift than a 1.6:1 with a cam that has a little less lift. That being said I completely agree with Alih, you're going to need all the supporting mods and getting the heads matched to the cam is crucial to see good results. You would actually be better off replacing the heads first since they give you power all throughout the RPM range, unlike a cam which is usually targeting either high end power or low end torque. If you're not pretty familiar with working on cars get the cam installed by someone else. My advice: save your pennies so you can get heads to match the cam.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Priceless!! Great info and great advise!! And you get it for free!!