Annoying rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Default Annoying rattle

So I've had my 97 ss convertible for 7 years. The transmission and rear-end have been rebuilt.
I hear this annoying rattle when starting out in 1st and sometimes when shifting into 2nd. It's done it since I bought it.
Almost sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car. Are there bushings that could be worn out? I had the transmission place che k but when it was on the lift, it doesn't make the rattle.
Thanks

Old 06-29-2022, 07:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Chasing down rattles is something most mechanic dread. Even on brand new cars. I have ridden in trunks and and under hoods, even putting new cars on Dynos meant for race cars just so I could be under it while the car was going highway speeds. The point I am trying to make is they can be tuff to find. It can be just about anything on the car.

The only trick I can help with is keep in mind how you jack the car. Follow where the weight of the car is loaded. Compare that to the rattle. Is it when you go over large bump or is it worse in the dip? I would think you want jack so your are supporting the car so the wheels/axle is not hanging. You want the axle to push up into its driving position. ( think sitting the wheels on cinder blocks) At least start that way. Then get what is called a dead blow hammer a smaller one. It should be plastic and has sand inside of it. This stops the hammer from being a rattle. Start taping on things. The first place I normally look is exhaust. If it is installed wrong or damaged it can be very annoying. Then check the heat shields around the exhaust. Keep in mind as the exhaust warms up it will lengthen so at exhaust that will not rattle cold can rattle or get worse as the car heats up. You are also looking for anything shinny or with weird wear makes like a park brake cable with a notch worn in it. If you don't want to spend the $3 dollars on the dead blow then make a fist and hit stuff with the softer side.

Exhaust issues are about half of the rattles I have seen. After that I have see just about everything from a cracked in the body to an practical joke played on someone. Seriously a lead fishing weight tied to a string bouncing on the frame with "HA" written on it. Neither myself or the customer found it funny, but I do imagine a buddy howling.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-29-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Check your exhaust system ,that's where I found my annoying rattle.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Them heat shields are also a problem. The ones by the cat and exhaust manifold are where I found my rattles. To fix them I bent the slits where they intersect and used a dab of high temp RTV.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Chasing down rattles is something most mechanic dread. Even on brand new cars. I have ridden in trunks and and under hoods, even putting new cars on Dynos meant for race cars just so I could be under it while the car was going highway speeds. The point I am trying to make is they can be tuff to find. It can be just about anything on the car.

The only trick I can help with is keep in mind how you jack the car. Follow where the weight of the car is loaded. Compare that to the rattle. Is it when you go over large bump or is it worse in the dip? I would think you want jack so your are supporting the car so the wheels/axle is not hanging. You want the axle to push up into its driving position. ( think sitting the wheels on cinder blocks) At least start that way. Then get what is called a dead blow hammer a smaller one. It should be plastic and has sand inside of it. This stops the hammer from being a rattle. Start taping on things. The first place I normally look is exhaust. If it is installed wrong or damaged it can be very annoying. Then check the heat shields around the exhaust. Keep in mind as the exhaust warms up it will lengthen so at exhaust that will not rattle cold can rattle or get worse as the car heats up. You are also looking for anything shinny or with weird wear makes like a park brake cable with a notch worn in it. If you don't want to spend the $3 dollars on the dead blow then make a fist and hit stuff with the softer side.

Exhaust issues are about half of the rattles I have seen. After that I have see just about everything from a cracked in the body to an practical joke played on someone. Seriously a lead fishing weight tied to a string bouncing on the frame with "HA" written on it. Neither myself or the customer found it funny, but I do imagine a buddy howling.
Facts! Check your exhaust! If it's on the lift and doesn't do it, you might have axle/ exhaust contact. I've fought that for years!🤣🤣