Add OnStar to 4th Gens! (and others)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb Add OnStar to 4th Gens! (and others)

Nice to have options...

OnStar's aftermarket mirror offers emergency services and turn-by-turn navigation.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-200...ncol;cnetRiver

"January 4, 2011 7:31 PM PST
CES: OnStar expands to aftermarket
by Wayne Cunningham

LAS VEGAS--Today OnStar announced it would make its services available in non-GM cars through an aftermarket rearview mirror replacement. The mirror frame features the blue OnStar button, along with buttons for emergency response and hands-free phone calling, similar to its appearance in GM vehicles.

The bulky replacement mirror combines a GPS chip, accelerometer, Bluetooth hardware, and a cellular chip to connect with OnStar services and operators. OnStar uses Verizon for its voice and data connections.

OnStar used a fleet of non-GM vehicles to test its mirror.

The mirror uses its accelerometer to determine if a crash has occurred, which triggers OnStar's emergency collision response. An OnStar operator will attempt to contact the vehicle occupants and call emergency responders as needed, using the GPS signal to determine the car's location. The GPS also enables OnStar's stolen vehicle location service.

Similar to OnStar in GM vehicles, the aftermarket mirror provides turn-by-turn navigation from an OnStar operator. The device pairs with Bluetooth cell phones allowing hands-free calling. Users can also get a prepaid calling plan through OnStar, and use the mirror as a phone.

This aftermarket OnStar implementation suffers from a few limitations. It does not connect to a car's OBD-II port, so cannot offer remote door unlock or engine start. OnStar is also not offering an associated smartphone app, as it is with the Chevrolet Volt.

OnStar has tested the mirror in a wide variety of non-GM vehicles, and says it is compatible with cars from Ford, Lincoln, Toyota, Nissan, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, and Honda.

The mirror is expected to be available in early Summer at Best Buy. OnStar recommends a professional installation. The unit will cost $299, with the cheapest service plan at $18.95 per month."

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Overdrive Member

Funny thing about this I have been researching installing an OEM Onstar system into Sarah. I have been researching how the system interfaces with the 3800 engine and weather I can intigrate it into my car's systems. Looks like I dont have to do that now.

Massey

Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Overdrive Member

What sucks it they didn't add Auto-Dim, a temperature sensor, compass and Homelink to the mirror, unlike the replacement Gentex mirrror I went with... I could care less about OnStar.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

i could care less about any of that lol, its all on my phone

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so how is the service with on star and whats a gentex?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Aww why'd you come back?

Meh Onstar is nothing more than a glorified GPS.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

I have never paid for OnStar service, so I can't comment...

Gentex makes a lot of the specialized OEM mirrors:
http://www.gentex.com/automotive.html

These guys sell them, and others:
http://www.mitocorp.com/

also see eBay

Google "Gentex 50-GENK60"

Originally Posted by craby
so how is the service with on star and whats a gentex?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 01-15-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kool thanks.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It's of no use to me, but if there are people that it will be good for, then good on them~

Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Overdrive Member

I have had OnStar a couple times and I really liked having the piece of mind that went with it. I used it several times to assist others but never needed it myself. I am greedy tho I want the whole system not just a mirror. I have been looking into installing in my Sarah out of another vehicle that is similar like an Impala or Monte.

Massey

Quick Reply: Add OnStar to 4th Gens! (and others)