Ac/cruise fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:33 PM
Default Ac/cruise fuse keeps blowing

Hello I am having a problem with my 1998 Camaro 3.8 v6 the ac/cruise fuse keeps blowing. In the mean time I ran a new switch and wire to the a/c compressor with a fuse inline and that fuse doesnt blow, so I think the problem is in the cruise control if anyone has had this issue or knows how to fix it any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-10-2019, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear member

After reading your other post about the horns, I wonder if the two problems could be related. For the A/C and Cruise fuse to blow, somewhere in the circuit the wiring has developed a direct short to ground. The fact that the Cruise switch is in the same vicinity as the horn switch, may help lead to both problems. I would inspect the wiring the column closely when you look at the horn switches. I would pull the fuse in the IP panel and check the load side (going to switch) of the fuse for continuity to ground. If this test shows continuity, pull apart the cruise connector at the base of the column and retest to see if this cleared the circuit. If it does, do the same continuity test to ground for the wiring going up the column. It is possible for wires to have been damaged in the upper column that could cause both problems. Also check the switch the Cruise Control Release switch it's operating properly. I've attached a schematic of the AC/Cruise circuit for reference.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1998 AC_Cruise Circuit.pdf (58.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
After reading your other post about the horns, I wonder if the two problems could be related. For the A/C and Cruise fuse to blow, somewhere in the circuit the wiring has developed a direct short to ground. The fact that the Cruise switch is in the same vicinity as the horn switch, may help lead to both problems. I would inspect the wiring the column closely when you look at the horn switches. I would pull the fuse in the IP panel and check the load side (going to switch) of the fuse for continuity to ground. If this test shows continuity, pull apart the cruise connector at the base of the column and retest to see if this cleared the circuit. If it does, do the same continuity test to ground for the wiring going up the column. It is possible for wires to have been damaged in the upper column that could cause both problems. Also check the switch the Cruise Control Release switch it's operating properly. I've attached a schematic of the AC/Cruise circuit for reference.
Thank you for the reply and the diagram. It didnt occur to me that they could be related. Thanks I'll check it out.
Thanks,

Old 12-11-2019, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Hotknight53
It didnt occur to me that they could be related.
They may not be, but in both cases, the circuit has gone to ground and they are in the upper part of the steering column with a lot of moving parts. It's conceivable that a couple wires got damaged.

Last edited by peterpar; 12-11-2019 at 12:49 AM.