97 RS with a 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think you will need a different speedometer and Tachometer. I think most performance shops will have them. There is nothing to your existing gages because all the "thinking" was done by the PCM. Remember you need to take a wave signal from the speed sensor then run that through a ratio calculator that takes into count the rear and tires. I have no idea where you would find the calculation or the output required to make an PLC or some other programmable device work. That is not repair information, it more GM engineering info. I never heard or read about it. If I had to guess I would say both the speedometer and tachometer are driven by a .5-5 volt signal from the PCM making them both volt meters of a sort.

In other build thread guys have spent $500-$1000 just getting the gages working. There was one guy who detailed how he did it but the thread is so old all the attached pics links are dead.

As for the wiring, it should be in the back of the GM manuals.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-18-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:47 PM
4th Gear Member

part of the problem is someone put a used engine in a rs ,with mine we made sure we could just barley get the distributer out,i put all new gauges except the speedo so far ,should have bought mine all new parts less work done right ,pretty much but ,these are all cars that need that special guy for them like gen one certified mech atleast or that wants to get it right where they want it .that knows exactly what they are getting into also

we used all new parts an a z28+ resale stinks on these one could put 60k into this built an be lucky to get 20k ,seen one on ebay had the super charger comeing up through the hood 406 like mine 600 wrhp but 35k he has in his,$9500 on ebay Auction,i went to an ls1 an on way way away from the monster going to take loss on mine too,but there are guys that want them ,one thing with mine is no hole in the hood an you can eat off it still

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Locry;724717]Hehe, yeah I get what you're saying. Thing is... American car

is hard to come by. I'm from Manila.

Ok now i know why i been there in the philppines ,very nice there i went from manila to davao city,now i understand welcome to the forum,had my teeth worked on there

Anything bigger then 3.0 v6 is found in like a toyota tundra full size truck ,unless you got big money there trying to out price cars hear too in the us you can buy a nice house for the price of new camaro over hear now an there too,they want everyone in 4 cycle engine ,or car hear too now ,average there is like 1.2l i think an to 50cc moped big was a good time there ,one can do well if they have money there ,$250.000 goes alot further there then hear ,thought about retiring there one day.

so that is a rare car there,an there is alot more wireing to do like with mine all the lights worked ,windows .only thing did not work was guages except gas guage works still,yes i would try an electric gas pump ,mine died couse high the pressure to low in just a week,i have 600 cfm carb running at 4.0 psi ,there you would not need electric chock also i would imagine the laws would help

the one thing amazed me there was how people drive like nuts,its like a race for first place scooters within reach of my punch hehehe ,hear that would not go ,an the way people just cut you off ,it was the one thing i did not like unless your on back roads i had to relax big time,i was glad i had a driver a pretty women ,makes newyork city look calm, down town minila that is,but one thing i noted was security guards with m16s shot guns ,i felt safe in most places,the us could learn alot from other countries though ,with the crap going on hear at schools

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-18-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Keep in mind your 95 did not have a body control module and the 97 does. Many things that are old school hard wired on your car are not on a 97.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 AM
4th Gear Member

yes v6 i would just change over to a 4 barral carb make it stupid meening no bcm, an work with it better there ,he has all the other work anyway an electrical issues that goes with puting a v8 in a 3800 car

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-19-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 PM

Hehe, yep. People here drive like crazy. Wild west. Nobody cares. Veeryone out to out maneuver the one in front. But thats for another topic/rant. Traffic too... Caused by the same culprits...

Ive been messing with cars for 24 years, I love the diy spirit and the challenge of "making things work". Economics have nothing to do with it.

I have experience rewiring a completely computer controlled car. (95 Mercedes Benz S280) Everything had to go through a module. I traced the wires back to the modules. Eliminated the circuitboard and hardwired conventional relays while still using the module's pinouts. quite a challenge but well worth the effort. That's the plan with this RS.

Aaaand... There's always Arduino.

Last edited by Locry; 02-20-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM
4th Gear Member

sounds like a plan for the rs keep us updated

Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
part of the problem is someone put a used engine in a rs ,with mine we made sure we could just barley get the distributer out,i put all new gauges except the speedo so far ,should have bought mine all new parts less work done right ,pretty much but ,these are all cars that need that special guy for them like gen one certified mech atleast or that wants to get it right where they want it .that knows exactly what they are getting into also

we used all new parts an a z28+ resale stinks on these one could put 60k into this built an be lucky to get 20k ,seen one on ebay had the super charger comeing up through the hood 406 like mine 600 wrhp but 35k he has in his,$9500 on ebay Auction,i went to an ls1 an on way way away from the monster going to take loss on mine too,but there are guys that want them ,one thing with mine is no hole in the hood an you can eat off it still
Love the setup!!! Can you please post more pictures? Can we see the distributor?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:48 PM
4th Gear Member

thank you Hello right now the cars is in storage will have it out in a few weeks back in my one car garage, i have the performer intake set up by edelbrock 600 cfm the intake is the lowest profile one can get ,i will look for more pictures ,of it,we had it out one time last year the distrubutor ,did not get any pictures though ,but i can take some for you soon will look to see,i know

had a spring let go in to head from an over rev few to many times,it s comes out fairly easy ,we had to cut out the spot of metal around the winshield wipers for the clearance an kinda planned ahead when we did it ,but still wondered if we would need to pull the engine ,thank god we did not have to with like an inch of space comes out passengers side, if it help its a standard cap on it msd hear is one from before ,i have bunch of pictures in my garage may help too install click 95 406 top left an go to photo album its hei

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-25-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:30 PM
4th Gear Member

when i get my 95 out very soon as the weather in Newhamshire comes to spring we get like 8 to 9 months with the cars out, comeing soon .i will take some pictures with the air cleaner off,but yes key was cutting out the metal was needed .an to be done tricky to keep wipers working too,will try to get picture of that too.

if you look at the one picture in my albums you can see we installed it the engine. without the Distrubutor,couse we did not want to damage it during install,

so at the time we wondered if it would fit in after install an it did with about an inch after fabrication bending lifting cutting mod after mod ,if you notice it rises up in the middle that is my wiper assembley looking across the engine bay ,there was just enough room to cut a hole without it going though the other side .on mine there is 2 layers ,should be the same on yours too ,we had also though about a crab style distrubutor lower profile

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-25-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 RS with a 350