95 Z28 Exhaust clip

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 95 Z28 Exhaust clip

im not exactly sure on the laws with that, but i think it is illegal, nd it wont make the car like omg i hear it coming !?!? its just a lil deeper, my friend did it to his mustang nd it still sounded stock except with like a major exhaust leak, best bet to get better tone is get new muffler or if you want a real roar go with full set up from the headers back

Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah im just gonna wait til i get some money
if i ever do =[

Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: th3po1son

well yeah i mean it still sounds good, sounds better than mine haha. mines just stock.
okay ive got a question. can i just like... take off my muffler... and replace it with a straight pipe? or will that just sound like absolute ****? and/or be illegal?
Just thought I'd pipe in to clear up some confusion...

The muffler has no bearing whatsoever on emissions, the only thing that you may have to worry about is noise laws, which aren't really readily enforced anyway because most cops don't have a decibel meter to carry around with them anyway. So to answer you question, yes you can just "take your muffler off," that's pretty much what I did. The only issue is that the muffler is the way your car gets from one pipe two 2, so you need to have a muffler shop do some bending and a little cutting/welding to get your dual tips out the back again. If you want to do the muffler delete I'd suggest going with some resonator tips that you like the looks of to quiet it down just a bit, if you run open pipes it'll be very loud, especially when you get headers on there. I just had the muffler delete for about a year before I got my headers, so don't worry about it sounding bad, I thought it sounded great. When you get headers the sound doesn't change that much, it just gets a bit more aggressive and you get the more metallic sound of the headers added to what you already have. Go for it!

EDIT: I though I'd also throw in that my car passed Denver emissions with flying colors once the cats got warmed up, and emissions here are pretty strict, they do the visual as well as the "sniffer" inspection. The car failed a full test the first run through, then they reset the machine and tried again and it passed the quick test...

Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear member

jw... what do you have to have to get the muffler off? I tried once (a few weeks ago) and it was like the thing was rusted straight to the pipe... how the hell does it come off? I wasnt trying TOO hard though cause I just messin around and wanted to see how it would sound.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

you got to cut it, its welded. but i knew there was some sort of law associated with it, i didnt know if it was emissions or not

Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Its welded?? How??? from the inside??? I dont see how it would be, cause its just like the pipe fits right over the one coming off the muffler and a little screw clamp thing is on it...