95 Camaro starting/electric issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Default 95 Camaro starting/electric issues

When I turn the key to my 95 Camaro to the on position, the dash lights/gauges, door chime don't work but everything else electrical seems to work. When I turn key to start position it doesn't turn over or make any sounds but dash lights/gauges come on. A couple times in the past month it has also turned over but not idled or ran well at all but next day started and ran fine for a while. 2 weeks later drving it and it bogged down and died when I pulled off road and started next day. Then a week later it wouldn't start but jumped it and finally started and ran fine until current problem. I'm lost! Please help! Thanks!

Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is this a v6 model? are you getting a check engine light? have the car scanned for trouble codes if at all possible. check fuel pressure. look for lose or damaged wires or wire connections on ignition parts like coils, modules and what you see. check battery connections and clean the battery cables and battery terminals. wire brush the heck outa them. may have to scrape with sharp object if you have a carbon coating on them. also check your junction box wire ends to make sure they are clean and not damaged. they are on the passenger side fender well, positive box is red with a cover, negative is open and a bit further away from battery on the fenderwell. also check to make sure the battery ground wire is getting good connection at the engine.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 PM

It's a v6. I recently got it to turn over, and perform bulb check and gauges function normally with key in on position, but not start or even attempt to start, by manipulating the key in the switch.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Also, I had the remanufactured short block from Advance Auto Parts installed about a year ago and the check engine, security, and low oil lights have periodically been on and off since.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
is this a v6 model? are you getting a check engine light? have the car scanned for trouble codes if at all possible. check fuel pressure. look for lose or damaged wires or wire connections on ignition parts like coils, modules and what you see. check battery connections and clean the battery cables and battery terminals. wire brush the heck outa them. may have to scrape with sharp object if you have a carbon coating on them. also check your junction box wire ends to make sure they are clean and not damaged. they are on the passenger side fender well, positive box is red with a cover, negative is open and a bit further away from battery on the fenderwell. also check to make sure the battery ground wire is getting good connection at the engine.
What he said,it sounds like a battery or alternator issue to me but start with the basics "check battery connections and clean the battery cables and battery terminals. wire brush the heck outa them. may have to scrape with sharp object if you have a carbon coating on them"

Old 12-05-2019, 09:58 AM

I have checked the basics and they all seem fine. I've noticed when I manipulate the key so that the dash bulb check, gauges and chime all function properly and I turn key to start and engine turns over it will start and continue running as long as I can keep the key in the right spot. Soon as key moves a hair, engine dies.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear member

I think I would check the ignition switch at the base of the column. If the contacts were bad, it could cause the type of starting problems you're describing.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
I think I would check the ignition switch at the base of the column. If the contacts were bad, it could cause the type of starting problems you're describing.
Is checking the ignition switch or bypassing the VATS easier to do? I'm planning on bypassing the VATS anyway.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Bitharrell
Is checking the ignition switch or bypassing the VATS easier to do? I'm planning on bypassing the VATS anyway.
I don't think your problem is with the VATS system in the key switch upper column. The actual ignition switch electrical contacts are located at the base of the column.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Here's a drawing from the 2000 service manual to show you the location. It should be the same for a 1995.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2000 Ignition Switch.pdf (127.7 KB, 74 views)

Quick Reply: 95 Camaro starting/electric issues