7 years and just now modding my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Default 7 years and just now modding my camaro

I can't believe it took me this long. Truthfully, I'm just bored with the car (96 z28) and have to do something untill I can afford the 2009. I'm starting off with a flowmaster catback. I know it's not the best, but I'm getting it for my birthday from my g/f. After my 64 olds cutlass with headers and thrush mufflers, my camaro just sounds pathetic as is. I'm not sure how far I'm gonna go mod wise, but so far I have a cold air intake and zo6 rims planned. I don't need gobs of horsepower, but I am trying to recapture the same feeling I had for this car when I bought it.

I'm no stranger to turning a wrench, so I might end up with a pretty quick lt1 before everything is said and done. Aside from changing the plugs, I'd have to say these cars are beyond easy to work on. So far I've changed the tranny mount and waterpump by myself and was surprised how easy it was(minus getting the shop to get the closed cooling system in order lol). Any tips for cheap and easy hp would be appreciated. I'm on a budget at the moment, but that's only temporary.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 7 years and just now modding my camaro

Cat back as you already said, cold air intake will help, of course headers and Y pipe. After you get those down you can start thinking of internal upgrades, heads, cam etc.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 PM

The main thing I'm worried about is modding a motor that has 99k on it. 95slvrz28, you have one of the best looking 4th gens. Those z06 rims look great on it. I'm going to try to get the gunmetal color zo6 rims for mine when I get the cash. If I didn't like my falken tires I have now, I'd probably just go by the rims now lol. Performance wise, I'd be happy to get 330hp out of my lt1 so it's no longer a gimped vette motor.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Overdrive Member

You have to consider how the car was driven for that 99k though, was it mostly highway? Mostly city? Did you drive the car to hell every day or were you nice to it? Theoretically you should be able to get 330(crank) hp from bolt ons and a good tune, if you're looking for 330 wheel hp you're going to have to go for internals, but better heads and a different cam can get you there. Anymore, 99k really isn't that much for a motor if you've treated it well, oils are much better than they used to be and cars are good for way more than 100k if they've been taken care of. If you beat on your car regularly you'll probably want to think about rebuilding the bottom end so you don't have to worry about throwing a bearing or something like that, but I woudln't be too concerned. Thanks for the compliments on the car by the way, I'm pretty happy with how it looks!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 AM

I've had it from about 60k and take decent care of it. Not to say it hasn't seen redline every now and again. I think the worst thing I've done to it so far was wait till 5k one time to change the oil.

Just put my catback on a few hours ago. It was alot tighter fit than I expected and I'm already having rubbing/rattling issues. It sounds great and I have zero popping, but I'm gonna have to get back under the car and get the rubbing under control. I'm kinda bummed too that the drivers side pipe sticks out further than the passengers.