67 camaro owned nearly 40 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Default 67 camaro owned nearly 40 years

Hey guys,I'm new to your site but not new to camaros.I have a plain 67 camaro that I've had close to 40 years.Madera maroon,black int.3274spd.Drove with the 327 as transportation for a while then changed to a lightly modded 454 which it still has today.Car has been kept inside all its life so is pretty cherry with no rust and orginal int.and carpet.Brake drums have never even been turned.Painted it once in 1980(had to have those z28 stripes!).Ok,point of this story is I am planning to bring the car up to date like I want it and want to know what fellow camaro enthusist think of my plans for it.I have the orginal 327 but that would be no fun.I added a rear spoiler and cowl hood when I painted it.Of course it looks good like that.My update plans are to restore it to the plane jane with no spoiler and flat hood,close to orig.madera maroon(mabye cheat it to a little prettier maroon)with a white nose stripe.Steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps.Litte updates on suspension,disc brakes etc., stance about 1.50inches lower than orginal.Already has a 12blt.373posiThe rest of the drivetrain will consist of an ls motor,possibly 427 cubes ballpark 5-550hp and a t56 six speed .What do you think,yes,no,mabye,how would you do it?If you only like original restos tell me that,my thoughts on that are if it was an orginal 396 375 ss I would put it back original,its not.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like a nice car, have any pictures? That's pretty cool too, having had that car for so long, and hanging on to the original 327 was a smart thing to do for future originality sakes. Wish I held on to my first 69 from back in the 70's. Anyway, it's your car, do whatever floats your boat. I prefer the spoiler/cowl hood effect, but that's me. Are you wanting to go back to plain jane because you prefer the look? Obviously keeping the car original isn't an issue since you're going with a newer vintage drivetrain.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sounds like a nice car, have any pictures? That's pretty cool too, having had that car for so long, and hanging on to the original 327 was a smart thing to do for future originality sakes. Wish I held on to my first 69 from back in the 70's. Anyway, it's your car, do whatever floats your boat. I prefer the spoiler/cowl hood effect, but that's me. Are you wanting to go back to plain jane because you prefer the look? Obviously keeping the car original isn't an issue since you're going with a newer vintage drivetrain.
I like the spoiler /cowl look too,It just seems like they all have that look now.I have always liked the sleeper look too,just somthing cool about it.I thought it might set it apart a little.I have an orginal 69 396 350hp 4spd with air rs/ss that I am restoring to orginal for obvious reasons.The plain jane 67 I feel I should just make it like I want .I'm not too good loading pictures,I'll have to see what I can do.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

In my opinion people do the cowl hood and spoiler because it looks better than not having it. Keep it that way and make it stand out in other ways...paint, wheels, interior etc.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by fastb
In my opinion people do the cowl hood and spoiler because it looks better than not having it. Keep it that way and make it stand out in other ways...paint, wheels, interior etc.
Thanks,thats what I'm looking for,some input from other camaro guys.I'm not locked into any one thing on it,just thinking about different was to go about it.Just not intrested in a totaly stock resto on it.I'd rather build a car I can really drive all I want to and have fun with.Anyone else have any input on it?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 40yr67
Thanks,thats what I'm looking for,some input from other camaro guys.I'm not locked into any one thing on it,just thinking about different was to go about it.Just not intrested in a totaly stock resto on it.I'd rather build a car I can really drive all I want to and have fun with.Anyone else have any input on it?
That is why I bought what I have. It is a clone SS because if I bought a real SS or Z I would not want to have fun with it and drive it much. I got my car to customize to my taste and drive and have fun with. So far it has been that and more and I can't wait to start doing more stuff to it.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 40yr67
Hey guys,I'm new to your site but not new to camaros.I have a plain 67 camaro that I've had close to 40 years.Madera maroon,black int.3274spd.Drove with the 327 as transportation for a while then changed to a lightly modded 454 which it still has today.Car has been kept inside all its life so is pretty cherry with no rust and orginal int.and carpet.Brake drums have never even been turned.Painted it once in 1980(had to have those z28 stripes!).Ok,point of this story is I am planning to bring the car up to date like I want it and want to know what fellow camaro enthusist think of my plans for it.I have the orginal 327 but that would be no fun.I added a rear spoiler and cowl hood when I painted it.Of course it looks good like that.My update plans are to restore it to the plane jane with no spoiler and flat hood,close to orig.madera maroon(mabye cheat it to a little prettier maroon)with a white nose stripe.Steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps.Litte updates on suspension,disc brakes etc., stance about 1.50inches lower than orginal.Already has a 12blt.373posiThe rest of the drivetrain will consist of an ls motor,possibly 427 cubes ballpark 5-550hp and a t56 six speed .What do you think,yes,no,mabye,how would you do it?If you only like original restos tell me that,my thoughts on that are if it was an orginal 396 375 ss I would put it back original,its not.
40yr67 - Your Camaro sounds like an amazing project and platform. Are you tyring to keep everything bolt in parts so that you can put it back to stock, or are you willing to drill a few holes and trim a few pieces? Are you trying to make the car handle the corners a little better, more like a newer car?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hotchkis
40yr67 - Your Camaro sounds like an amazing project and platform. Are you tyring to keep everything bolt in parts so that you can put it back to stock, or are you willing to drill a few holes and trim a few pieces? Are you trying to make the car handle the corners a little better, more like a newer car?
Well,I don't want to cut it up or or do a lot of irreversible mods to it although I can't see why I would ever want to put it back totally original.I won't have a problem with drilling holes and light mods to get an ls motor and six speed in it and better brakes and suspension.A little better handling would be nice although I am more likley to make a straight line blast than run a road corse.I am open to suggestions on about everything on this project except it will definetley have an aluminum ls motor and t56 trans.It has cal trac bars and bolt in frame connectors from many years ago.I use to do a lot of street racing with it years ago.

Last edited by 40yr67; 08-27-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I like modified Camaros, and I like the spoiler and cowl hood regardless of whether they came that way or not. The painted rims and dog dish hubcaps will still keep a sleeper serious look, even with spoiler and cowl hood.
I'd do the LS and 6 speed if I knew more about the electrical part of those swaps. That would be a nice surprise when people see a fairly stock looking car, but open the hood to reveal something else. But then a big block probably has the same affect.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 PM

I've always loved big blocks and always will ,they look great,sound great and make great power.In todays world though the ls is just hard to resist.I can make just as much power or more,take roughly 300lbs off the front end,and get 20-25 miles per gallon on most any pump gas.Add the bonus of fuel injection and probably reliability too and for me it gets hard to stay with the big block unless you have an original big block car.That I probably would not change.I have a 67 chevelle convt. that I have already converted to ls power and the results have exceeded my expectations,it's great.

Quick Reply: 67 camaro owned nearly 40 years