6800 to 7000 enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 6800 to 7000 enough?

I am looking to get a 4th gen 98 or up z28. I don't mind doing some work to it but it will have to be dependable as it will be a daily driver.

I have been looking at 2nd and 3rd generations but someone wiser than me pointed me to the fact that I might need to look into a newer car where I am in life right now as I have to transport two toddlers occasionally. I am in Mansfield, Texas close to Dallas. If anyone has friends with cars in the area that are for sale that meet my criteria, I would love to know. I prefer an all original car to start with and one that has been maintained pretty well mechanically. I can deal with cosmetic issues.

Also, how much does it cost to buy a shortblock for an ls motor if you need one? My number is 972.741.5964

Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Posting you phone number is a real bad idea. This site shows up pretty high on the search engines.

Cost of a decent car is relative to where you are. For me 7K should find me a Non-SS automatic car with around 75K on it. That is craigs list deal, If you know someone in the business you can buy the same car at auction for around $4500-5000 depending on the day. Around here price will jump up once the weather turn and stay higher for 2 months.

I have read some bad things about the 98's I would try to avoid them but you can find a deals on them for this reason. I have not owned a LS1 but I have done some research. These are 200K motors as long as the oil pump does not go out. It seems to be a weak point. You really have to beat the crap out of these things to kill them. We have seen cars with stock bottom ends that can lift the front wheels off the ground.

I have never researched buying a LS1 bottom end. They are going to be pricey because they are in such high demand. Normally when an engine is in high demand it means they are not great motors and they have a high failure rate. In the case of the LS1 it is so good people are putting them in everything. I have even seen some nice looking Camaro shells recently that you can tell the car was stripped for the engine/tranny and it was not even wrecked!

There are a lot of options with an LS1, you can install just about any Chevy V8 made after 2002. 4.8, 5.3 or a 6.0 but they may need some slight tuning.