Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't want to smell it though.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think the reasoning behind all the luxury and features and such in the "modern" muscle car is because they're trying to cater to the original muscle car market... who have all grown up and grown old, and have to deal with bad backs and aging joints and limbs, and families, so they had to make it soft and easy to drive to compensate.

'ing baby boomers take the fun out of everything

Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear member

That is one of the considerations that they thought of. Pretty much all major car companies have started with the retro styling for the same reason and that is to get the cash of those who owned the original version back in the day.

A lot of drivers who had the original would love to have another. I personally would love to have another '64 Nova SS. But they are hard to find now, and for the most part very expensive when you do get one in good shape. Plus, those old 1st gen Nova's absolutely sucked in the ride and handling department.

But, if GM were to bring back the first gen Nova in a retro version, complete with modern interior, chassis and engine, then I would really be looking to buy new again. I don't see that happening, so I will stick with my "poor man's vette".

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Okay so i think i just made a qoute, Poor mans vette is going in the sig lol

Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Lets not forget the 4th gen lost the pony car War for GM. Towards the end of the 4th gens run the factory was running 8 hours a day and it ran out of places to put cars. It was designed to run 24 hours a day. While we may like them they are not liked by most. Hopfully the 5th gen does better then the 4th gen.

History Lesson.
The term muscle car was orginally ment for cars that muscled their was down a quarter mile. Chevelle's, Torinos's, GTX's, Big cars you would not expect to be fast but where cause of massive displacment. Back in the day if you called a Camaro or a Corvette a Muscle car you where a moron. Vet was a sports car. Camaro, Mustang & Challangers where pony cars. Pony cars where the for runners to a touring type car. Some how muscle car tag now shows up on anything fast. I think I like the orginal meaning better.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i like them all third gens look real cool to me (im into the square look of it) i love my fourth gen (more the 93-97 fourth gens tho not a big fan of the catfish) and the fifth gen has a cool future retro look to it but i kinda hate the interior

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
I interned at GM last summer, so I had plenty of chances to drive them
Since you've apparently had plenty of seat time in them, what was your impression of it? Did it feel beig and heavy as some have commented?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The 5th gen does feel rather big and heavy in around town driving. The SS's power makes up for it when you drop the hammer, you can really feel the thrust. By comparison, the V6 is a DOG, after driving both there's no way I would even touch the V6. The 5th gen was definitely more docile around town and such than my 4th gen, but the exhaust bellows and the power kicks in just as it should in any muscle/pony car when you nail it.

Probably my biggest complaint is the outward visibility. It's a big car, and it felt difficult to really get comfortable with the car's dimensions easily (maybe if I owned one for a few months and got used to it I would have gotten used to it, but when you get in and drive one for the first time it's kind of weird).

I'm also not really much of a fan of the interior. The steering wheel rim is almost cartoonish in how thick and big it is, and I don't like the swath of hard plastic trim on the doors and IP. I think it should be leather instead (it's cloth on cars with cloth seats).

All this being said, I would probably still buy one if given the chance

Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Love my Camaro, but I would own one of each generation, and call it a day.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
The 5th gen does feel rather big and heavy in around town driving. The SS's power makes up for it when you drop the hammer, you can really feel the thrust. By comparison, the V6 is a DOG, after driving both there's no way I would even touch the V6. The 5th gen was definitely more docile around town and such than my 4th gen, but the exhaust bellows and the power kicks in just as it should in any muscle/pony car when you nail it.

Probably my biggest complaint is the outward visibility. It's a big car, and it felt difficult to really get comfortable with the car's dimensions easily (maybe if I owned one for a few months and got used to it I would have gotten used to it, but when you get in and drive one for the first time it's kind of weird).

I'm also not really much of a fan of the interior. The steering wheel rim is almost cartoonish in how thick and big it is, and I don't like the swath of hard plastic trim on the doors and IP. I think it should be leather instead (it's cloth on cars with cloth seats).

All this being said, I would probably still buy one if given the chance
Thanks for your feedback and impressions of both models, I appreicate it.

One of these days I'll need to test drive an SS for comparison...

BTW: I did test drive a '95 Viper (red, Oh yeah) w/only 17K miles on it, and even though it had good low end torque (400HP), the power for such a small lgt. car wasn't earth shattering by any means. I also had an issue w/the clutch pedal placement sooo close to the gas and brake (for heel / toe shifting I guess) that my foot kept getting hung-up brake pedal when I tried to shift. I had to take my size 10's off to drive it properly...
It was a really cool car overall, but the lack of a real top was an issue w/living up north as well.

What sold me on the 4th gen Camaro was the styling and T-top factor and LS1 of course. I wanted another open top car, but not really a convertible though since my past history w/last one did not end well, the T-top really fit the bill for me...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Garret