3rd, 4th Gen. vs. 5th Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm sure that the 5th gen Camaro's performance and handling are vastly superior to the 4th gen cars. When it comes to the styling, though, I simply prefer the overall styling of the 4th Gen Camaro to the 5th.
I think GM got the general size and proportions of the 5th right but the front and rear faces fall short. The front isn't bad and I could put up with it. The rear, however, is just plain awful IMO *especially* the tail lamps. I cringe when I'm behind a 5th generation. The way the designers made the tail lamps flat on top is awful. I wonder why they didn't go retro with a horizontal bar like the 1st gens had since they seemed to mimic the general proportions of that car.
Some designs grow on me over time but I doubt the 5th gen rear styling will. Think Pontiac Aztek =:-0

Last edited by 1augapfel; 12-14-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear member

I just don't see comparing them, really. They were designed around what the market was asking for at the time they were developed. Those "wants" and "needs" have changed quite a bit over the years, and helped contribute to the growth and demise of the 4th-gen.

If I had my way, I'd own both a 4th and 5th-gen Camaro. I like them both for different reasons. For me, both cars still possess a quality that is distinct to the Camaro name. They just each choose to emphasize a different aspect of the brand.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
so by your definition of "muscle car," there are none currently being produced. The 5th gen's improvements in ride and handling are the difference between a modern muscle car and a 10-year-old muscle car (i.e., a 4th gen). If you do a bunch of suspension work on your 4th gen so it handles like a dream, does it cease to be a muscle car?

Have you ever driven a Viper??? Didn't think so. Neither have I, but that's why I don't go throwing around outlandish claims like that.
I've been inside one when it was driven. It is a lot like 4th gen. Very powerful and a rough ride. I couldn't drive it as a DD. The 5th gen is a muscle car, but like I said, its built on a sedan's chassis. Back in the day, most wouldn't look for luxurious features and sophistication when purchasing a muscle car. Oh, and a 4th gen LS1 w/ a 6-speed could keep up with a 5th w/ 6-speed, so after eight years, there's not much improvement in 1/4 mile times.

Last edited by Buffalo02Z28; 12-14-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by RedKnight
If I had my way, I'd own both a 4th and 5th-gen Camaro. I like them both for different reasons. For me, both cars still possess a quality that is distinct to the Camaro name. They just each choose to emphasize a different aspect of the brand.
I'm with you there. I've driven plenty of both, and I like both. Maybe someday when the 5th gens are cheaper to buy/own I will get one. For now I am more than content with my "poor man's Vette".

Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would buy a 5th gen if it was lighter and if the interior was redesigned. As of now, I'd rather have the Challenger SRT8.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If I had the money for a 5th-gen, I'd buy a 1st-gen.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
I've been inside one when it was driven. It is a lot like 4th gen. Very powerful and a rough ride. I couldn't drive it as a DD. The 5th gen is a muscle car, but like I said, its built on a sedan's chassis. Back in the day, most wouldn't look for luxurious features and sophistication when purchasing a muscle car. Oh, and a 4th gen LS1 w/ a 6-speed could keep up with a 5th w/ 6-speed, so after eight years, there's not much improvement in 1/4 mile times.
I still don't understand why you're trying to make things like "luxurious features and sophistication" and improved handling contrary to what a muscle car should be. And you said you'd rather have an SRT8? That's heavier yet, costs about $5000 more, and it's also built on a sedan chassis, which is apparently a deal-breaker for you.

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If I had the money for a 5th-gen, I'd buy a 1st-gen.
haha good call

Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Driving the 4th gen is like driving a poor man's Dodge Viper.
There's no comparison Buffalo, completely different in every way.

Back on topic, my ex had a 2010 ss and that thing felt like a pig to me. I'd rather have a 4th gen ls1 since the performance is similar in the quarter mile. I mean 600+ rwhp from fi is pretty awesome, but not in a 4,000 pound car. Now when the camaro gets redesigned with a new platform I'll consider them, but not now. Only cars of that kind I would consider is the 2011 5.0 and the 2011 challenger 392 or a 2008-2010 gt500

Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
I still don't understand why you're trying to make things like "luxurious features and sophistication" and improved handling contrary to what a muscle car should be. And you said you'd rather have an SRT8? That's heavier yet, costs about $5000 more, and it's also built on a sedan ch***is, which is apparently a deal-breaker for you.
Muscle cars are not known for their sophistication, features and such. They're designed for mostly performance. This is the first time in history that muscle cars are designed with features, HUD, and ride quality in mind. Most muscle cars of the past never really excelled in handling either. You said that the 5th gen was 'brash and in your face'. The 4th gen is more so like this than the 5th gen. The 4th gen is more in your face in the way of performance. I've driven a 5th gen and I noticed right away that my mostly stock 4th gen's engine and exhaust note were louder than the 5th gen's. Accelerating in the 5th gen was different also. It seemed like my 4th gen was faster because it made more noise and seemed more aggressive than the 5th gen's sounds. I'd rather have the Challenger SRT8 because it gets a new 392 cubic-inch HEMI and I don't mind the weight because it propels the car to mid 12's 1/4 mile. I also prefer the interior in the Challenger over the Camaro's.
Originally Posted by garner
There's no comparison Buffalo, completely different in every way.
I made this comparison because both the 4th gen Camaro and the Viper are mostly designed for performance. This can be noticed just by sitting in both cars. The gauges are large and visible, the steering wheel is perfectly sized, the shifter is perfectly placed and the controls are well within the driver's reach.

Last edited by Buffalo02Z28; 12-14-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Also about the 5th gen, it's like DR said, if I have 300 hp I want to be able to hear and smell it or something like that. Same for the SS