3rd or 4th Gen Camaro - Good First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear member

Don't buy a 4th gen if you don't plan on getting a bit dirty. These cars are prone to problems... but with 5.7 liters and 8 cylinders it's all worth it.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Don't buy a 4th gen if you don't plan on getting a bit dirty. These cars are prone to problems... but with 5.7 liters and 8 cylinders it's all worth it.
I am curious as to why you think the 4th gen is more problematic then the 3rd gen? The 3800 T5 is a 200K car if maintained and not abused. There are some comedic issues with dashes cracking and some rattles but hardly anything a teenager would mind. I like the front suspension of the 4th gen but I also like the weight of the 3rd gen. I have owed both and for me it is a tossup. That is comparing a 90 V8 vs. a 96 V6. One place the 3gen wins is the fact it is easier to work on, but my guess would be that the 20 year old car is going to need more work than the 14 year old car.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear member

A fourth gen Camaro would be a great first car, I would definitely hold out for a manual though. I wish I had one now. Insurance on a V8 for me would have been double, so I stuck with the V6.

Prone to some minor problems yes, but I don't agree with Catmaigne that it's problematic. The drivetrains on any of them will last if not abused. Any car can be reliable if properly maintained.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A V6 in a 4th gen Camaro spoils it because it's missing the party piece. Z28/SS or bust.

It all depends on the insurance company you have. I'm 17 and my policy went up $20 a month after upgrading from a beat to crap 98 Mercury Sable with twice the mileage.
But it's a first car. How much, typically, does your insurance cost per year?

How are they prone to technical issues & which ones in specidic?

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
A fourth gen Camaro would be a great first car, I would definitely hold out for a manual though. I wish I had one now. Insurance on a V8 for me would have been double, so I stuck with the V6.

Prone to some minor problems yes, but I don't agree with Catmaigne that it's problematic. The drivetrains on any of them will last if not abused. Any car can be reliable if properly maintained.
Thanks for the feedback. If I was going to get a car that powerful, it would definitely have to be a manual; for sure.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear member

First things first, check with insurance. If the disparity between a V6 and V8 isn't too high it's well worth the extra green.

I'm not saying that the V6 4th gen is more problematic than any other car, what I'm saying is that if it looks like a sports car chances are it's been driven hard over the years. These cars typically attract 2 types of people: 40-somethings having their midlife crisis and reckless teenagers. Don't expect pristine condition with such a wicked looking car.

With the V6 it seems like you're paying for the namesake more than anything else. Buying a non V8 Camaro is like marrying a supermodel only to find out she has guy-parts. It's a total deal breaker. The same concept applies to transmissions.

A good friend of mine is realizing this with his N/A 300ZX 2+2. When I bought my first car (a 98 Mercury Sable w/146k for $300, most revolting thing on the road) I hosted my own "Hooptie Race." A few friends and I gathered in an abandoned office park to see which of our crappy cars was the fastest down the lot. I jokingly challenged my friend's 300ZX to see how much I'd lose by but was shocked when the Sable actually kept pace. Grandma's 3.0 DOHC V6 was pushing 200HP, just 22 shy of his non-turbo. Feeling threatened, he started planning a TT swap.

The funny part is that I never had a single problem with the Sable contrary to what I have now. It was a great car that refused to die no matter how much I screwed with it.

Last edited by Catmaigne; 07-12-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm not saying that the V6 4th gen is more problematic than any other car, what I'm saying is that if it looks like a sports car chances are it's been driven hard over the years. These cars typically attract 2 types of people: 40-somethings having their midlife crisis and reckless teenagers. Don't expect pristine condition with such a wicked looking car.
I would agree with that statment but I would say it is true for both the 3rd and the 4th gen not a reason to not buy a 4th gen.

The non-Z 305 TBI has a little less HP then the V6 3800. Both cars with a t5 can be fun to drive first cars. 300hp can be a bit much for a 16 year old, 300hp 6 speed can be trouble. Maybe it is because I am a father but it is something to work up to not to start off with.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-13-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

First things first, check with insurance. If the disparity between a V6 and V8 isn't too high it's well worth the extra green.

With the V6 it seems like you're paying for the namesake more than anything else. Buying a non V8 Camaro is like marrying a supermodel only to find out she has guy-parts. It's a total deal breaker. The same concept applies to transmissions.

A good friend of mine is realizing this with his N/A 300ZX 2+2. When I bought my first car (a 98 Mercury Sable w/146k for $300, most revolting thing on the road) I hosted my own "Hooptie Race." A few friends and I gathered in an abandoned office park to see which of our crappy cars was the fastest down the lot. I jokingly challenged my friend's 300ZX to see how much I'd lose by but was shocked when the Sable actually kept pace. Grandma's 3.0 DOHC V6 was pushing 200HP, just 22 shy of his non-turbo. Feeling threatened, he started planning a TT swap.

The funny part is that I never had a single problem with the Sable contrary to what I have now. It was a great car that refused to die no matter how much I screwed with it.
You're right & that all makes sense. I expect it to be driven for it's purpose, and I do not expect a pristine condition, but I would like it to be decent. I will drive it the way it's meant to be, because it's a sports car and you're suppose to have fun with it, lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I am 16 and get my licence in 2 months and I own a 1997 Camaro RS and love it. Sure having a v8 is nice and sometimes I wish I had one, but insurance in Maryland is a huge difference I got quoted $200-300 with my v6 and $400-700 for a ls1 a month (seems outrageous ! ). But anyways I got my car its a 30th anniversary Rallysport for $2000 with 70000 miles every thing was in good shape the t-tops dont even leak but a v8 would also mean higher price. I love driving my car, I think you would love a 4th gen and a 3.8 is surprisingly powerful (will catch second with 10 inch tires)

Mods (corvette zo6 wheels, cooper zeon tires, flowmaster catback, few other)

Name:  23449_110673438947423_100000143021734_255372_4112537_n.jpg
Views: 4304
Size:  97.2 KB

Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by EasternStryker
I am 16 and get my licence in 2 months and I own a 1997 Camaro RS and love it. Sure having a v8 is nice and sometimes I wish I had one, but insurance in Maryland is a huge difference I got quoted $200-300 with my v6 and $400-700 for a ls1 a month (seems outrageous ! ). But anyways I got my car its a 30th anniversary Rallysport for $2000 with 70000 miles every thing was in good shape the t-tops dont even leak but a v8 would also mean higher price. I love driving my car, I think you would love a 4th gen and a 3.8 is surprisingly powerful (will catch second with 10 inch tires)

Mods (corvette zo6 wheels, cooper zeon tires, flowmaster catback, few other)

That's a really nice ride man. The insurance is expensive with a V8, like you said was outrageous.; but $200 for that? Wow, that is a really good deal, plus it's right where I am when it comes to price for the most part as well. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear member

I would say get a decent shape V6 now, drive it for a few years, then if you still like Camaros, step up to a really nice V8.

Quick Reply: 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro - Good First Car?