3800 CatBack

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 3800 CatBack

Everyone around here thinks it will be so difficult to install a catback. Everyone is recommending I have a shop install it. I don't feel like paying a shop $100+ to do something I can do in my driveway. How hard/easy is it to install in my driveway with standard floor jacks?

Oh and I don't even know of any shops that would allow you to supply your own parts for them to install.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

just a cat back... easy is it going to be a direct fit or one of those "well send you a bunch of pipe and you make your own kit"

Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
just a cat back... easy is it going to be a direct fit or one of those "well send you a bunch of pipe and you make your own kit"
Getting a Magnaflow catback from summit.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya there easy to put in the hardest part is getting the stock exhaust out i suggest you get a good cutting wheel (maybe 2) and some good sawsall blades dont even bother trying to wrench off any bolts just cut them. and get some new rubber for the hangers. what about the cat you leaving it stock???

Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
ya there easy to put in the hardest part is getting the stock exhaust out i suggest you get a good cutting wheel (maybe 2) and some good sawsall blades dont even bother trying to wrench off any bolts just cut them. and get some new rubber for the hangers. what about the cat you leaving it stock???
Yeah the cat is staying stock for now. The exhaust was replaced two years ago after an accident so hopefully it will come off easily.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

and replace all the bolts with stainless there pricey but last longer than the crappy steel bolts youll get... and if you need to use muffler clamps dont use the u-bolt kind they ALWAYS leak get the 3 bolt bands there much better

Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Here is the system. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15693 what else should I get for installation?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

summit isnt working for me...anyways i cant see the exhaust i assume duel outlet are you going to get tips? theres not really much else i can think of for a catback... while the exhaust is out of the way you can make sure the heatshield is secure good

Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

The magnaflow gives you everything you need. I installed one on my v6 camaro and install was easy and smooth. The clamps they give you are fine for the application; a band clamp isn't needed. The tips are welded on and are essentially the tailpipes (they just widen out to 3.5")

Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Easy, just take your time and make sure you have everything before you start, such as anti-seaze lubricant for your bolt threads and pipe connections...

Quick Reply: 3800 CatBack