2002 Camaro OEM Sub Replacement Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Default 2002 Camaro OEM Sub Replacement Recommendations

So, I am in the process of replacing all of the speakers in my 2002 t-top Camaro, and I am wondering, what subs would you guys recommend to replace the 2-ohm, 6.5 inch subs in the sail panels behind the driver and passenger seats? I'd preferably like something that will fit in the OEM spot without any modification or fabrication. For the time being, it will continue to be powered off of the OEM amp.

Thanks for the assistance!

Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Behind the driver seat? If you're talking about the panel on either side of the rear seats, those are just 6.5" speakers. I would replace them with a high quality coaxial such as JL Audio or Alpine.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the response! I thought that the speakers/subs in the sail panels were only wired for lower frequencies? So what you are saying is I could throw in any aftermarket set of 6.5" speakers, I just would not be getting anything coming out of the tweeters? If that is the case, would it be worthwhile to throw in a good set of components, say, some 6.5" Alpine Type Rs, and just not bother with the tweeters that they come with?

Also, I meant to ask earlier but forgot until just now, how many watts are being supplied to each of the speakers in the sail panel?

Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You could throw a set of full range coaxial speakers in there and yes the tweeters will work. I did that with mine. And it's hard to tell what kind of wattage is going to those speakers. What kind of head unit do you have? Do you have an amp? Did your car have the factory Monsoon/Bose stereo system?

Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM

I've got the stock Monsoon HU and the stock Monsoon amp still in it.

If I were to ever want to replace the factory Monsoon amp, are there any out there that would just be a super-simple swap, or would I have to do some extensive rewiring if I decided to go this route? Any recommendations with links?

Would the factory amp be able to push some component Type Rs efficiently or would that require a new amp? Or should I just go with coaxial and run them off of the existing amp. The only way I think I'll consider a new amp, is if like mentioned above, it is a straightforward swap of the OEM, because I'll be the first to admit, I am not the most car audio-savvy guy out there.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:08 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well To be honest, I would put some nice coaxials in there. They still have the tweeter but its mounted to the speaker. I wouldn't put a component set in the back. That's a waste. Save the components for up front. I would get a set of these:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TR650-CXi.html
And a set of these:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TR650-CSi.html
Put the coaxials in the back and the components up front.
These two sets of speakers will blow away what you have right now. I believe that you would also have the speakers back in the hatch area on either side, correct???
If so pick up a set of these while you're at it:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TR690-TXi.html

Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want a super simple and huge improvement, add a Bazooka powered sub in that lower well. I won some sound offs running a pair of 8" Bazookas on a 500W amp in my last Camaro, even one does pretty impressive for size.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions!

Chaotic, I've thrown some Boston Acoustic components in the door up front and some BA 4 inchers in the very back hatch area. Looks like I will go with coaxials for the sail panels; I was just concerned with matching up the correct 2 ohm impedance with those speakers.

Raingler, you have definitely got me intereseted in picking up a Bazooka Tube after a little research and reading all the glowing reviews about these things. Will these connect directly to my stock Monsoon HU? As far as mounting position, where would you recommend? I know common sense would tell me to throw it down where the t-tops go, but I like to ride with them off a lot and don't want to have to disconnect the Bazooka when I do - I want to be able to hear the bass bumpin' from that sucker as I cruise down the highway! I've got the factory 12-disc changer in the little cubby area above the wheel well on the driver side, would there be enough room for it there if I take the disc changer out? Any other mounting ideas?

In particular, I've got my eyes on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-BTA102...5469466&sr=8-5

Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you sure the factory speakers are 2ohms???

Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Are you sure the factory speakers are 2ohms???
When I pulled them out, that's what is stamped on the back of them (the sail panel speakers, the others are 4 ohms I believe.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro OEM Sub Replacement Recommendations