2000 Chevy camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:01 AM
Default 2000 Chevy camaro

My cousin tried to hot wire it because nobody could find the keys when my brother passed away and I now have the car and the steering column was pretty torn apart and so I figured I'd get a new steering column and key ignition switch with the chipped key to that ignition switch and it came out of a 2001 camaro and when I got it all put together and turned the key on all the lights came on and the security light came on for a few seconds then went off and didn't blink like it would if the security system didn't recognize that key but when I tried to start the car it didn't turn over, any ideas

Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, does anything else on the car work after that? Lights, radio, windows, locks, etc.?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear member

The resistor value of the key is stored in the BCM and cannot be changed. The key from the new column would have to have the same resistor value as the old to work. Because you don't know the original resistor value, you might have to resort to buying a set resistors and try bypassing the VATS one by one until you find the right one. When you find the correct value, you can either leave the resistor in place or remake the new column key with the correct resistor.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52
Well, does anything else on the car work after that? Lights, radio, windows, locks, etc.?
yes lights come on fuel pump kick in sometimes the radio will play other times it flashes saying protect

Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

If it's saying protect and everything is intermittent, then that resistance value on the new column's key isn't right.

You're going to have to follow what peterpar said there to start the car up.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52
If it's saying protect and everything is intermittent, then that resistance value on the new column's key isn't right.

You're going to have to follow what peterpar said there to start the car up.
I can turn the key on and everything turns on no problem tue fuel pump turns on and all lights come on and sometimes the radio will just play until I try to start the car then only the radio goes into I guess protect mode

Old 07-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
The resistor value of the key is stored in the BCM and cannot be changed. The key from the new column would have to have the same resistor value as the old to work. Because you don't know the original resistor value, you might have to resort to buying a set resistors and try bypassing the VATS one by one until you find the right one. When you find the correct value, you can either leave the resistor in place or remake the new column key with the correct resistor.
ok thanks I will give it a go

Old 07-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ejofurrall
ok thanks I will give it a go
so even though the security light does not blink while on for the few seconds and then turns off it's still the resistance isn't quite right am I correct

Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear member

I've never had a VATS problem personally, so I don't know what conditions result from not being able to recognize the key. I do know that the BCM controls a ground path to the starter relay coil and without this ground, the starter will not energize.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
I've never had a VATS problem personally, so I don't know what conditions result from not being able to recognize the key. I do know that the BCM controls a ground path to the starter relay coil and without this ground, the starter will not energize.
ah the joys of newer cars

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy camaro