1996 z keeps giving gas on own

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just go to the parts store and pick up a length of the appropriate diameter vacuum hose and cut out the old and splice in the new. Preformed factory elbows may be nifty, but you can curve straight hose. And yes, open vacuum lines will make the engine run/idle erratically.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you want the stock hoses you could look on ebabe or wrecking yard. also look in our classified to see if anyone is parting out a lt1 4th gen

Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If air is getting into the intake the fuel injection will add the correct amount of fuel. On a fuel injected car a vacuum leak is just like pressing the gas.

Check the RED HELP section in you parts stores alot of the vaccum fitting are in there and they do not show up in the parts guys books. Throw some eletrical tape around the cracks until you can get it fixed right.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so I just got the car back from the shop. They replaced all the cracked hoses. They even smoked it a few times to check for more leaks. The car still does the same. They even reset some stuff to try to fix it and nothing. The guy at AutoZone said to try and replace the EGR, does this sound like something that would cause this? If not, any new ideas? Please help, I've already taken to two different mechanics and can't seem to figure this out. :/

Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Overdrive Member

EGR can cause this but your computer would be telling you that it is stuck open or not responding. I cant think of anything else other than an intake manifold leak or unmetered air getting into the engine that would cause your issues.

Massey

Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by MartineZ28
Hey guys I recently took my 1996 z28 to a local shop to have the tune up done plugs, wires, optispark and all. Now my car when stopped at a light or even in park will start to give itself gas on and off. It revs on its own. Never too strong, but strong enough to try to go even when you have your foot on the break. The mechanics at the shop can't figure out why its doing that and i wanted to see if anyone knows what this might be. Please help.
Didn't do it before, then after getting worked on, it's acting up.
1) The shop messed something up, and
2) Hopefully you didn't pay for anything until they fix whatever it is they screwed up.
Your engine is acting a little like mine was with a bad optispark.
The guy who worked on it needs to retrace his steps, and should only be looking at the things he put his hands on. Make sure no plug wires are crossed, no disconnected sensor wires, etc.
I fail to see how replacing the optispark, plugs, and wires would give you an instantly bad IAC, intake manifold leak, EGR Valve, or whatever else is unrelated to the parts they worked on.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Didn't do it before, then after getting worked on, it's acting up.
1) The shop messed something up, and
2) Hopefully you didn't pay for anything until they fix whatever it is they screwed up.
Your engine is acting a little like mine was with a bad optispark.
The guy who worked on it needs to retrace his steps, and should only be looking at the things he put his hands on. Make sure no plug wires are crossed, no disconnected sensor wires, etc.
I fail to see how replacing the optispark, plugs, and wires would give you an instantly bad IAC, intake manifold leak, EGR Valve, or whatever else is unrelated to the parts they worked on.
You were right!

I took it to a local shop to have them check it. The optispark was causing the revving issue. Which makes sense since it started doing it right after i put a new one in. Must of been a bad optispark from the get go. It was a cheap duralast brand from autozone.

Anyways, the Z is running smoothly again. Thank you guys for all your thoughts and opinions!