18 year old insurance for 1994 z28.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

For one I'm the owner of my Camaro and I am insured under my parents insurance.....so I am the owner of the vehicle but it is not insured under my own policy. And if u get sued for over 250k and there is no settlement for alot less then well u need a new lawyer.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roachz28
For one I'm the owner of my Camaro and I am insured under my parents insurance.....so I am the owner of the vehicle but it is not insured under my own policy. And if u get sued for over 250k and there is no settlement for alot less then well u need a new lawyer.

my friend, can you tell by the tone of my letter that perhaps I am beyond my 20's and 30's? Maybe just maybe I have experienced that which I discuss in the thread.

I suggest the OP discuss with an insurance agent and perhaps tha parents discuss with a lawyer. Also, in a down economy such as this, and one that will continue to be down with the current fiscal policies, lawsuits will increase as people look for ways to find money.

Oh, one more thing, please try and buy insurance for an asset such as a vehicle or home where the title or deed does not have your name listed. Good luck with that. Many kids say it's "their car" whe in fact the title is in mom or dad's name

Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
the biggest cost for young drivers is spelled L I A B I L I T Y

that's the 25/50 50/100 100/300 250/500 etc number that you see

an 18 yo may be best to sign up on their own and pay the $180 per month and that is probably for low end liability

Yes, you could ride your parents' policy and try and "cheat" the system by being put on a Buick etc as the primary driver. BUT (that's a big but). If your folks work, or own a house, or have any money in savings or stock then they had best load up on liability coverage which then drives up the premium and you would probably still be paying a lot for your share.

THink about it. What is one of the first things you hear someone give as advice to a person that was struck in an auto accident???? "hey, you should sue"

Well, what do you think the other guy is being told when you hit him? if you ride your parents policy, and tyey only have 100/300, and the claimant is trying for 250k, guess who is first in line to pay the 150k difference? I'll give you a hint, it isn't you. it's the owner of the vehicle and only the owner of the vehicle can purchase insurance.

it kind of puts into perspective now when you hear someone say "you should sue"
Wow! Good points. I sit down with my insurance agent and discussed how best to insure my son and did what I said above with his recommendations. I think I might need to revisit his office.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have insurance through Nationwide, and with claims they've been a good company to deal with.
On the subject of "ownership", they WILL NOT put my kids' cars on our policy unless my name is also on the title (their name can be on the title too, so on paper it's co-ownership). If their name is on the title only, they would have to have their own policy (read friggin expensive). Since legal ownership determines who is financially liable, I can't see why this wouldn't be an industry-wide policy.
Between my cars, the wife's, and the kids three, we have 7 cars insured. My agent loves me!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I have insurance through Nationwide, and with claims they've been a good company to deal with.
On the subject of "ownership", they WILL NOT put my kids' cars on our policy unless my name is also on the title (their name can be on the title too, so on paper it's co-ownership). If their name is on the title only, they would have to have their own policy (read friggin expensive). Since legal ownership determines who is financially liable, I can't see why this wouldn't be an industry-wide policy.
Between my cars, the wife's, and the kids three, we have 7 cars insured. My agent loves me!
the things we do for our kids. I priced out each kid's car as if they owned it (those over 18 because under 18 they won't insure) and showed them the cost. I then priced just my vehicles which the adults drive, then, I priced the cars ( I actually own all of them) with everyone riding on our plan and showed the kids how much it was riding our policy as well as how much more it cost ME on my own vehicles just to have them riding the policy.

They stopped whining when they saw how good of a deal it was to ride our policy.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
the things we do for our kids. I priced out each kid's car as if they owned it (those over 18 because under 18 they won't insure) and showed them the cost. I then priced just my vehicles which the adults drive, then, I priced the cars ( I actually own all of them) with everyone riding on our plan and showed the kids how much it was riding our policy as well as how much more it cost ME on my own vehicles just to have them riding the policy.

They stopped whining when they saw how good of a deal it was to ride our policy.
I will be adding one more child to mine this year and I don't even want to know how much more it is going to cost.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Torque: Well i'm not about to get into a post battle...but I am the only person on the title of my Camaro as I paid for it by myself So I'm sorry you misinterepted my post as a counter to yours, but My 2002 Camaro z28 is titled to me not my parents.

I do agree with your advice and you are much wiser then I (I dont wanna admit), but my family insurance agency does allow me to be the sole owner of the vehicle and still remain under their insurance. I know this because when I bought my Camaro I had to figure out insurance and they wanted me to go onto my own policy which was crazy expensive, but I was able to go on their policy as the primary owner/driver of my Camaro.

Last edited by Roachz28; 03-26-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 AM

im 20 years old and mine is $2,700 a year

Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by osduck5
I will be adding one more child to mine this year and I don't even want to know how much more it is going to cost.
osduck, Did you get a quote for the Z28 yet? I assume you would be setting it up as your car. I mentioned to my agent about getting a Z28 for me and I have 2 kids and he kind did that face like you don't want to go there. I never got a quote. Course one of my kids has 2 minor claims already and she is only 21 both her fault.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
osduck, Did you get a quote for the Z28 yet? I assume you would be setting it up as your car. I mentioned to my agent about getting a Z28 for me and I have 2 kids and he kind did that face like you don't want to go there. I never got a quote. Course one of my kids has 2 minor claims already and she is only 21 both her fault.
No I haven't yet. I am going next week to talk with them about adding insurance to the 98 and am planning on it then. Yeah, I bet they are going to get a BIG smile when I mention Z28. I haven't even started doing the head gaskets on it yet. I think I am only going to put liability and uninsured motorist coverage on it and the 98.

Quick Reply: 18 year old insurance for 1994 z28.