'02 SS, high-beams no worky :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Default '02 SS, high-beams no worky :(

Hello all. A while back, I posted about an issue with my ignition cylinder - this was right after I bought the car. Well, I figured that out, but in the process of replacing the ignition cylinder, I managed to break a plastic piece of the high-beams on the multifunction switch. Everything on the switch works (blinkers, wipers, cruise control, etc) except for the high-beams. It does not 'click' to indicate it went into position/high-beam mode anymore. It just moves along the path that it takes to get there, then goes back into the original position.

Anyone know what needs to be replaced? I have a hunch that I did not break the actual switch, but rather the arm that goes to the pushrod on the switch? I haven't taken anything out to look at yet. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Overdrive Member

which plastic piece did you break?

The little tab that does the pushing is part of the Wiper switch and if that broke you need a new wiper switch. The plastic piece that gets pushed by that tab is available from GM for less than $10 and that connects to the rod that goes to the switch. Now the switch is moveable/adjustable and if in your adventure it became misplaced it simply needs to be readjusted.

Massey

Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Massey
which plastic piece did you break?

The little tab that does the pushing is part of the Wiper switch and if that broke you need a new wiper switch. The plastic piece that gets pushed by that tab is available from GM for less than $10 and that connects to the rod that goes to the switch. Now the switch is moveable/adjustable and if in your adventure it became misplaced it simply needs to be readjusted.

Massey
Do you have an example of each piece? I know what the piece looks like because I saw it fall out, and it's lying somewhere in my garage right now. Everything works, wipers, etc, except for the high-beam switch.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Overdrive Member

This is the picture of the switch itself. It shows the push tab near the top of the switch itself.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2108&ppt=C0039

Here is a great link that shows the breakdown of the entire column. This site is a Fiero site but aside from the column tube the column is the same.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

and the image below is the little plastic piece the wiper switch pushes on to engauge the high beam switch.

Massey

Attached Thumbnails '02 SS, high-beams no worky :(-43highbeamswitchfollower.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Massey
This is the picture of the switch itself. It shows the push tab near the top of the switch itself.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2108&ppt=C0039

Here is a great link that shows the breakdown of the entire column. This site is a Fiero site but aside from the column tube the column is the same.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

and the image below is the little plastic piece the wiper switch pushes on to engauge the high beam switch.

Massey
Massey, the picture you posted, the plastic piece, is what fell out/broke. And, now that I look at it, it may not be broke at all. Would I need to special order it, or can I just go to my local dealership and buy it?

To replace it, do I need to take the steering column apart? I am looking through this guide as I type this. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Overdrive Member

You need to take some of the column apart but not as far as the guy did when he made the thread I linked. You will need to remove the airbag coil, lock plate, turn signal switch (you can just pull the thing out you dont need to remove it), lock tumbler, and the upper housing before you can get that little piece back in. Then reassemble as needed.

Massey

Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM

Thank you Massey. I will look at it ASAP.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Found the high-beam follower in my garage, does not look to be broken...just looks like it came off the part it slides on...don't know. I will be taking it apart tonight most likely to replace the blinker switch/fix this.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM

Fixed it last night. The follower slipped in place once I loosened the collar and pulled it up some. The high-beams were missed

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Overdrive Member

Cool beans. I am going to contact the guy who wrote that build up and see if I can post a copy of it here. I know it is not for a 4th gen camaro but it is pretty close. There are only a few things different and most of us can figure out how to get around that.

Massey