82-92 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

having problems settin up my tires and suspension for the strip.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Default having problems settin up my tires and suspension for the strip.

I bought a set of wheel off a guy for $50. 14" 235 fronts and 15" 295 rear. I'm not sure the offset of them, but its near center of the wheel. After installing them i realized that not only are both rear wheels going to stick out at least an inch and a half, but one sticks out further then the other. Is there a common problem with 3rd gen z28's that could cause this? I'm kind of new to this part of the car and could use some advice. It's a stock rear end(for now), and as far as i know factory suspension still.
For a while now i have also noticed that after a burnout on the street it feels like the rear end of the car isn't going straight. Not bad it's just a slight feeling the back wheels are turning. It's almost so small that i thought it was just in my mind. Now i'm thinking maybe all this ties in together. Thanks to anyone who reads..

Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Droid

The rear axle is held in position under the car by the panhard bar. If the ride height changes the axle will shift either right if body is lowered, or left if the body is raised. As the springs age or the car accelerates the axle will shift right. Under acceleration or deceleration, the axle housing is prevented from spinning by the central torque arm, and by the lower control links.
The tail wagging you mentioned is caused by the tires losing their grip while under hard acceleration. The engine torque will cause the right side rear tire to unload because the axle is trying to rotate up. This compresses the right rear spring and the body will drop to the right, while the opposite is happening to the left rear side. This causes the left tire to have more grip than the right tire making the car want to turn right. This rear end steering effect becomes more pronounced with a locked differential. While this goes on in the rear, the engine torque is trying to twist the body and lift the front left of the car more than the right left. Serious drag racers compensate for all of this by adjusting tire pressures, spring rates and shocks, changing to a stiffer torque arm and control links, using adjustable panhard rods, and using stiffer bushings. Body twist is controlled by using strut tower braces, subframe connectors, and roll cages. I don't know how serious you are about all of this but there are a some things you should look at just for safety reasons. The tires sticking past the fenders is a bad thing as they are going to get chopped up as the car goes over bumps and they hit the body work. Excessive tail wagging may be due to worn parts, and you should make sure all pieces connecting the rear axle to the body are sound. Also worn front end parts will make the car hard to control.

Last edited by z28pete; 03-04-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 AM

Ok thanks man. I;\'m thinking its more of the worn out parts.. When i was talking about the rear end of the car turning i meant after i stopped spinning and was just cruising at speed limit. My dad was saying he thinks i'm just feeling a difference from where the limited slip was working and i felt it going around a curve. As for wheels yeah i know and i also am not a fan of the tires sticking out past the body. I need a set with better offset. Thanks though man..