82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

super, or just motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Default super, or just motor?

would it be worth it ro put a superchager in my 1998 z28 or just leave it motor and hook up some cheater nos. what would make me go faster and not have a lot of impact onmy engine.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: super, or just motor?

Depends on how much faster you want to go. NOS is REALLY bad for your engine but it's cheap. A blower will set you back but depending on how much boost you run, it will give you much more reliable horsepower. And a blower is always in use, not like NOS which has to be refilled after you use it.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. It depends on a number of things. NOS is OK if done in moderation. Like anything else, problems occur when You go farther than Your Own knowledge allows. The same is true of supercharging. The nice part is that a blower ( supercharger ) is there all the time. And Who said NOS is cheating. I never heard of any rules in street racing.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

AMEN uncle bill AMEN!!!! Theres no rules to racing just don't jump the gun

Old 10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

If money allows, why not just go with both. N2O when it is depressurizing cools because it is turning from a liquid into a gas. When you supercharge air, it heats and compresses it. Almost Cryogenic and very dense N2O gas mixed with hot thin boosted air = cooled boost air = deneser air charge = even more power and efficency.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Droid

Norm has a good point, the supercharger heats the air up and the nitrous cools it back down. But once you went this far, you may as well go all the way and use the supercharger with nitromethane and really put out the power. Of course the smell of burning nitro gives you away, but then it will be too late. LOL

Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the bottomline is money, nitrous is not dangerous, ignorance with nitrous is dangerous.
when you talk about making horsepower the underlying factor is always total cylinder pressure.
cylinder pressure is what makes the power.
both nitrous as well as a supercharger allows the engine to accept more high quality air thus allowing us to add ample enough fuel to keep our engine from leaning out. remember it is easy to add more fuel, it is harder to get more air.

using a power adder (nitrous,turbo,supercharger) is kind of like putting a better set of heads on your engine,....your allowing that engine to recieve more air.

be warned though you will never see the engines nor the power adders maximum potential without doing something on the exhaust side of things. your engines intake and exhaust is designed to work efficiently together therfore when you work the intake side it is definitly in your best interest to rework the exhaust.

if it was me and i had a limited budget, meaning i could not afford to pull the engine and build it, i would use nitrous and use the money that you saved to upgrade the exhaust (hedders back to the tail pipe) this will keep your fuel mileage as well as eat up mustangs.

if you have any further questions or need any more tech support feel free to call Lafferty Performance 704-795-5375, or visit our website Lafferty Performance

Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Most super chargers advertise a 40 to 50% gain. Unlike nitrous on a stoke engine you can't get that much of a gain with out killing your engine.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boomdrummer

would it be worth it ro put a superchager in my 1998 z28 or just leave it motor and hook up some cheater nos. what would make me go faster and not have a lot of impact onmy engine.

Either one will impact your engine.... N2O kit for the ls is about $700.00 vortec blower kit $5000.00. Blower is always on meaning it could have as great or greater impact on your engine than an occationally used N2O system designed for your engine.