82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

roots style blower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Default roots style blower?

so i recently got a camaro that needed some adjustments with the carb and now i am thinking about putting on a supercharger to it. i was told its a 93 gm 350. the previous owner installed an edelbrock intake, edelbrock carb and a set of mild cams (sorry can't remember the brand). i have been looking and between a whipple, centrifical, or roots and they all seem to end up being around the same price. the car does already have a cowl hood on it which is making want to lean toward the roots blower. . . sorry if the info i gave was not enough but im still learning as i go. i know the roots have a serpentine belt and my engine has 3 seperte ones so i would have to change that some how. any feedback on certain blowers to look for? which ones to stay away from? would i be able to handle the install? thanks all...

Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What's your budget? There's more to it than simply slapping a blower on top of an old worn engine. You need to tear the engine down to the last nut and bolt and rebuild it as a blower motor. You'll want a stronger crank, stronger rods, 4 bolt mains, lower compression blower pistons, a proper cam, and better heads. With engine, blower, and accessories, it'll be about a $7k engine provided you can do some work yourself.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
4th Gear Member

to parrot 69 that is the issue. You can't just slap on forced induction or even nitrous. At least if you want to keep the engine running. With gas prices appearing to be locked at $4 for premium and maybe higher, you might want to consider power and economy, and that requires modern technology.

If you have the $5,000- $8,000 to do the project then why not consider finding an LQ9 from an escalade or GM/Chevy truck? You could get the electronics, harness and engine for a lot less. If your 3rd gen is in pristine shape inside and out then why not move toward modern technology if you have the funds.

03 Chevy Silverado Sierra Cadillac Escalade LQ9 6 0 Engine 158K w Video 345HP | eBay

I'm just posting this as an example because I would not install an engine with 158k miles into my vehicle without a rebuild.

and another

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0-LITER-VO...8cfdd4&vxp=mtr

Last edited by torque_is_good; 02-07-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM

yea i hear ya. the car has all new interior and all new exterior. the drive train is the only lacking right now. . . the motor i thought was a real strong place to start. i figured with a supercharger it would help the car run more efficiently and add a good amount of power. i know there are so many options out there. thanks for the ideas to look into

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM

so looking at these posts, if i did get something like this with the complete motor and wire harness how much would i be looking to have a shop install this?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jim64123
so looking at these posts, if i did get something like this with the complete motor and wire harness how much would i be looking to have a shop install this?

sorry, I can't help you there with shop pricing. I'm a knucklehead who does everything himself and likes to break knuckles and have to cut off his wedding ring before the circulation is completely cut off on the finger as it swells.

Did you say you have an auto tranny? The 700R would need to be beefed up to handle the amount of torque that 6 liter would put out unless of course you drive like there's an egg under your foot.

I have a buddy who owns a shop and he always has a line on engine/tranny combos and tends to work out deals for folks who have him do the work. He's been trying to convince me to put in a coyote into my 07 because he bought the engine/tranny/computer from a wreck. I'd like to but my stang is running strong and fine but the Coyote puts out more power than mine even with my mods. He bought it for his project which never seems to make progress.

You should look for independent shops where the guys like to take on these projects. They might have a line on an LQ or an LS.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jim64123

Holy Cow!!!!

2006 Tahoe 5 3 LM7 Engine Transmission Complete Assy Only 57K Miles | eBay

If I were looking at a project I'd jump all over this. 57k miles and includes tranny, drive by wire pedal and computer and all accessories!!!!

headers and a tune and you have a very nice combo.